Finding out the status, free space vs used space, on an external USB drive added to the server as a backup device RRS feed

• Question

• In the dashboard, on the Server Folders and Hard Drives Tab, looking at the properties of the individual drives in the server storage pool shows the space used and free space per spindle. All good.

On the WD 750GB USB drive that I am using to backup the server and shares, right clicking the properties of the drive only shows the drive type, serial number and another couple of specs. There does not appear to be anywhere to find out how much free space is left on the backup drive. Not an issue at present given the relatively small amount of data (150GB) I'm using during this testing but it will become a problem further down the track once the system is released and will probably replace my WHS V1 machine.

Does anyone know how to verify the free space on an external drive added to the server as a server backup device?.

Thanks 

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:47 AM

Answers

• Could you submit a bug or product suggestion on Connect , please? Probably, though, this is going to wind up being a bit of interface that didn't quite make it into this build; there are other areas of server and client backup that are similarly lacking and Microsfot has said the same thing there.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:55 AM

All replies

• Could you submit a bug or product suggestion on Connect , please? Probably, though, this is going to wind up being a bit of interface that didn't quite make it into this build; there are other areas of server and client backup that are similarly lacking and Microsfot has said the same thing there.
    Thursday, May 13, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Here is a workaround:

Remote into the server

run the Server Manager (1st Icon in the superbar)

select Windows Server Backup

In the bottom right you will see a pulldown with your external backup media listed.  Select the disk that is currently connected and you will see Capacity and Used Space for the drive.

Detailed information related to each backup is also available in the Messages box.

CWagz

Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:39 PM
  • Thanks Ken, bug submitted 559055. 

Also crwagner, thank you for the work around.

Thursday, May 13, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Hi guys,

This information will be displayed in the next milestone, which I already have running in my officeJ

-mark

This post is provided AS IS and confers no rights. Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Friday, May 14, 2010 9:30 AM
  • "which I already have running in my office"

On hearing that what is the POR on releases for this beta? Has that been established yet?

--
    Don
    "Mark Vayman - HSBS" wrote in message news:f916394c-0244-4c57-a89f-b78acfb5b435...

Hi guys,

This information will be displayed in the next milestone, which I already have running in my officeJ

-mark

This post is provided AS IS and confers no rights. Mark Vayman, Program Manager, Windows Home and Small Business Server Team
    Friday, May 14, 2010 12:56 PM
  • No schedule of releases has been, umm, "released". :) Nor is it likely to be, since that would create artificial expectations that would almost certainly not be met if something caused a release to be delayed. I do expect that there will probably be a couple of additional releases between now and RTM. I don't expect RTM for several months, though; if the V1 beta is any indication, another 5 to 7 months seems pretty likely, and it could be longer.
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:40 PM
  • I guess I should of worded it a little different, know those facts on expectations. I was thinking of rebuilding when the next "milestone" comes along and moving more information over to Vail.

It has been working well on most avenues but would like to test some of the other things like "complete" server restore. 

--
    Don
    • Edited by DonCarlson Friday, May 14, 2010 1:53 PM spelling
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:45 PM