Backup/restore of dual boot drive RRS feed

• Question

• I was just wondering if anybody has tried the following and if so, did it work?

I have a dual boot system (Vista and XP Pro) with each OS on its own physical drive.

I want to upgrade the drive that XP is on (to a larger one).  If I do manual backup of just that drive and then switch them out, will I be able to restore the drive without losing anything?  (I have the connector software running on the Vista OS)

I was just wondering while I wait for my new drive to arrive.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Steve

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 2:43 AM

Answers

• The answer should be yes if that drive was set to be backed up and it's in NTFS.  Remember, this is a beta program.  Make sure you backup your important data first!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:28 AM

All replies

• The answer should be yes if that drive was set to be backed up and it's in NTFS.  Remember, this is a beta program.  Make sure you backup your important data first!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2007 7:28 AM
  • Thanks for the info.  It is NTFS, and as far as a backup goes, I will still have the old drive - so no problem there.

My big concern is that it might do something to the Vista drive.  I have Ultimate so I am planning on doing a complete image just to be safe.

Thanks again,

Steve

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 5:32 PM
  • Incase anybody is curious, I tried this today.  From what I can tell so far, it worked great.  The only issue I found is that Norton Antivirus wanted to be reactivated, but it has been a while since I booted to XP so I cannot rule out that it may have been a problem from before.

The backup proccess was smooth.  However, I found it odd that while you can only backup NTFS drives, my SD ram card (which I just leave in the reader and forgot it was there) showed up as choice to restore to.

Steve

Friday, March 30, 2007 3:19 AM