How do I backup my Raspberry Pi? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been writing programs for my Raspberry Pi (running Debian) for a few weeks now and would like to make sure I protect the work I have done.

How can I backup the files I have created?

Can I simply plug the SD card into my Windows (XP or 7) PC and copy it either to the hard drive or another SD card?

Thursday, July 30, 2015 1:07 AM

All replies

• This is a Windows IoT forum. Emphasis on Windows not Linux. Please re-post to one of the Raspberry Pi forums: https://www.raspberrypi.org/community/

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

• Proposed as answer by Tobias Scholze Thursday, July 30, 2015 6:32 AM
    Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:06 AM
  • @akacheah Whilst your detailed answers are helpful, you're just encouraging the irrelevant Linux / Arduino questions that are swamping this forum and making it difficult to find information on the actual subject - "Windows IoT".

There are plenty of places that already exist to provide this information, including the one that Tobias linked to.

Friday, July 31, 2015 9:54 AM
  • @akacheah

Windows IoT is about running Windows IoT on a RaspberryPi. This particular post is a good example of someone asking a question about Linux on a Raspberry Pi. There is a much better place to ask those sort of questions.

I understand you're trying to be helpful but the problem is that some of us are actually interested in Windows IoT on a Raspberry Pi. This forum is the only place I know of with any information about this. It's rather frustrating when I log in to check new posts and all I can find is pages of stuff about Linux or connecting LEDs to an Arduino. The only source of info we have is becoming so cluttered up with irrelevant chatter it's almost useless.

Whilst you're providing some small amount of help to people who could easily find reams of appropriate information elsewhere, you're making it very hard for people who are looking for relevant information at the only source of info there is on Windows IoT.

Do you understand why I feel your posts are actually having a negative effect? I'd be very grateful if you would help us redirect these enquiries to a more appropriate place. You obviously have a lot of knowledge on these matters, but it would be far better utilised helping them there rather than here.

(I'd have sent you a message if the facility existed on this forum, but I don't think it does.)

Fred

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 7:55 AM
  • @akacheah

Yes, the boards also support Linux, but the site you reference and this forum is for Windows 10 IoT Core NOT Linux! There are Linux forums that cover these boards with many developers who can provide feedback.

To keep the forum focused on Windows IoT for those asking and searching for  Windows IoT answers, we are kindly asking that Linux questions be asked else where.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 3:47 PM