Update or Installation of WHS PP3 client fails! RRS feed

• Question

• This is killing me.

When I try to upgrade my WHS Client it loads/updates then finds the server and asks for the password.

After that it says "This Operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. If the problems persists, please contact Product Support."

This is on a currently working WHS Client that can back up just fine and shows green on the icon etc. etc.

This also happens on a new machine that I'm trying to install the connector on.

I am also trying to recover an older backed up machine that lost it's hard drive. 

I cannot access the WHS Client from any of these machines anymore (All of them are now running Windows 7 latest updates, and the server has all latest updates on PP3).

That error is similar, it will ask for WHS password and then say it can't log on.

I CAN RDP into the WHS and run the local WHS Client on the server, but of course I can't restore any files from there.

WTH???

All machines are locally connected on the same router/subnet via wireline ethernet.

This all seems to have magically started to occure sometime after I installed something on the server or the client I don't know which since I didn't bother to try any of this until long after I had last tried to get in.

Any help is appreciated (I'm relatively knowledgeable about networking and Windows etc so I should be able to follow concise directions, lol!)

Thanks!

Sterling

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:06 PM

Answers

• I solved it by repairing dotnet 2.x with the repair instructions here (opening the install folder of the update for 2.0 sp 2 and right clicking and repair as described then rebooted and I could get back in!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077

• Marked as answer by Stelring Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:37 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:37 AM

All replies

• I still can't figure this out, but I did see this in the event log every time I apparently try and do something from a client like an install or reinstall or try to access the server console:

Any ideas if this is the problem? This is the only warning/error I see in the Event Log anyways. Not sure what other logs/locations to look at.

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

Event Category: Web Event 

Event ID: 1310

Date: 9/22/2011

Time: 2:22:03 PM

User: N/A

Computer: SERVER

Description:

Event code: 3007 

Event message: A compilation error has occurred. 

Event time: 9/22/2011 2:22:03 PM 

Event time (UTC): 9/22/2011 8:22:03 PM 

Event ID: 53960a72a486498e93f8b08daadd5140 

Event sequence: 31 

Event occurrence: 6 

Event detail code: 0 

Application information: 

Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/2/Root/EnrollId-1-129611964160000000 

Trust level: Full 

Application Virtual Path: /EnrollId 

Application Path: C:\inetpub\EnrollId\ 

Machine name: SERVER 

Process information: 

Process ID: 4080 

Process name: w3wp.exe 

Account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Exception information: 

Exception type: HttpCompileException 

Exception message: (0): error CS2018: Unable to find messages file 'cscompui.dll' 

Request information: 

Request URL: http://server:55000/EnrollId/Id.aspx?q=1316722935 

Request path: /EnrollId/Id.aspx 

User host address: 10.15.15.145 

User:  

Is authenticated: False 

Authentication Type:  

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Thread information: 

Thread ID: 1 

Thread account name: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE 

Is impersonating: True 

Stack trace:    at System.Web.Compilation.AssemblyBuilder.Compile()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildProvidersCompiler.PerformBuild()

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CompileWebFile(VirtualPath virtualPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultInternal(VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVPathBuildResultWithNoAssert(HttpContext context, VirtualPath virtualPath, Boolean noBuild, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean allowBuildInPrecompile)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetVirtualPathObjectFactory(VirtualPath virtualPath, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CreateInstanceFromVirtualPath(VirtualPath virtualPath, Type requiredBaseType, HttpContext context, Boolean allowCrossApp, Boolean noAssert)

at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.GetHandlerHelper(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)

at System.Web.UI.PageHandlerFactory.System.Web.IHttpHandlerFactory2.GetHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath virtualPath, String physicalPath)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHttpHandler(HttpContext context, String requestType, VirtualPath path, String pathTranslated, Boolean useAppConfig)

at System.Web.HttpApplication.MapHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

Custom event details: 

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:31 PM
  • I solved it by repairing dotnet 2.x with the repair instructions here (opening the install folder of the update for 2.0 sp 2 and right clicking and repair as described then rebooted and I could get back in!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/908077

• Marked as answer by Stelring Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:37 AM
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 12:37 AM