Server backups & Missed Backups RRS feed

• Question

• It's great to have workstations be backed up, but what facilities are available to backup the actual server? If this ability hasn't been added (I did check the Help file and didn't see it) it should be.

Also, what if a work station missed the backup time? Couldn't we have a feature that will do a backup as soon as the PC is connected back onto the network? I'm going to trying leaving the "window" of time to be 24 hours a day and see what happens.

Thanks,

Cary

Sunday, April 22, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• There is no facility to back up the server, but there doesn't need to be. The SYS partition is tiny and normally contains only the operating system, the client PC backups are "backed up" by the client PCs, and everything else can be protected by adding a second disk and turning on share duplication. If the system drive fails in the final WHS product, there should be a way to install a new disk without losing any data, similar to the reinstallation that many beta testers did over the past week or so. If another drive fails, the WHS admin (you, probably) will use the WHS Console to remove the drive, disconnect it and connect a new one, and use the console again to add it to the pool. (Any files on the drive that were in shares not marked for duplication will be lost.)

You can configure the backup window to be between say 1:00 AM and 11:00 PM, and backups should run shortly after a PC is started. However, once a backup starts, you won't want to turn the PC off until it's done, and a backup can have a significant impact on total performance on the client PC, depending on processor speed, number of cores, memory, drives, etc.
    Sunday, April 22, 2007 8:26 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    You can configure the backup window to be between say 1:00 AM and 11:00 PM, and backups should run shortly after a PC is started. However, once a backup starts, you won't want to turn the PC off until it's done, and a backup can have a significant impact on total performance on the client PC, depending on processor speed, number of cores, memory, drives, etc.

I tried changing the times (9 AM - 9 PM), rebooted PCs. None did the backup for that day.

Rebooted Server. Nothing backed up.

Rebooted PCs (have 2) and still no backup.

Right now all machines are off, and when I get home from work tonight, I'll turn on server first. Wait until it's up and running, then the PCs and see if they backup.

Thanks,

Cary

Monday, April 23, 2007 2:43 PM
  • Got home and turned on Server and PCs. Didn't log in or anything. Just left them alone for an hour (went out and mowed lawn!).

When came back in and checked, both PCs had been backed up. Looks good now!

Thanks,

Cary

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:18 AM
  • My experience shows that the order in which you turn on (or off) any of your PC's (server and/or clients) does not make any difference. Of course, the server should remain on at all times anyway. I simply tried different scenarios to see how things behaved.

Bottom line, if you need to turn off the server, check to be sure it isn't in an active backup (I didn't try that scenario, too scared) and shut it down through the WHS console. If you shut it down while logged into the server (through RDP or at the server itself) it warns you that someone else is logged in. I assume that someone else is the WHS services and simply feel it is safer to shut down thru the console.

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:24 AM
  • So there will not be any provisions to backup the data say on tape so you can store it off site?

I do this as movies, pictures and files are very important to me and if I have a fire I wouldn't want to lose these things.

So a way to backup the backups(?) would be good, or even allow us to install an external tape backup unit and software.

Cheers

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:36 AM
  •  HelifaxNZ wrote:

So there will not be any provisions to backup the data say on tape so you can store it off site?

I do this as movies, pictures and files are very important to me and if I have a fire I wouldn't want to lose these things.

So a way to backup the backups(?) would be good, or even allow us to install an external tape backup unit and software.

Cheers

Not in V1. It's entirely possible that some ISV will market a way to connect an external drive, back up some (or all) of the data on WHS, and take it off-site, but I doubt that Microsoft will supply anything.

Consider the cost of a backup solution, too. You'll need to be able to store a significant fraction (likely 40%-60%) of the capacity of your WHS. Which is likely to be big. How much does it cost to back up 1 TB of user files today? Last time I looked, it was around $2000 for hardware and sufficient media.
    Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:43 PM
  • Having worked in the backup industry for years, I can tell you that there is almost no system that does not need to be backed up.  A power supply fails and frys the hard drives, a virus corrupts the data, house burns down, water pipe breaks and floods the server rack.....

The reality is you need the ability to pull copies of the data off.  Of course, not may people have tape drives at home, and tape is not the most portable medium for home users.  (You need another tape drive at the recovery site.)  In addition to tape, I think CDR and DVDR needs to be supported. 

Tuesday, April 24, 2007 12:44 PM
  • A backup drive I recently bought cost me NZ$600, but that was on special.  Normally it would cost around $1100.

What I'm going to do is save all data on the WHS and then backup to tape via the shares.  Still don't 100% trust the computers.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Before I upgraded from Beta 2 to CTP, I had Carbonite running on my WHS and the entire D: drive was backed up on their servers over the Internet with their free trial.  Quite a deal for $50 per year.  Haven't reinstalled it yet under CTP.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:22 AM
  • I agree that the way to go is via online services. This is surely an ideal 3rd party add-in opportunity. WE use online backup at work, and it is so much easier and more convenient than any other method. No tapes to get damaged, no ever increasing stack of old tapes to store, and near instantaneous access to individual files if you accidentally delete one, and who does't!
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 11:18 AM
  • Since tape drives are expensive and in the process of being phased out anyway, why not one of these... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3004743&CatId=207
    and just run a task manager job to backup to the NAS at predetermined times. A full terabyte for under $500.00, and the NAS is portable enough to grab it and run in the event of a catastrophe.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2007 11:02 PM