Trying to create a new user gives error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was adding a user yesterday to my WHS.  While it was setting the permissions on the various shared folders the server crashed and rebooted.  When I went back into the dashboard no users were listed. :(  I tried adding the user again but it errors telling me it is a "Duplicate user account name."  I've searched for this error with no results, seriously a google search with that phrase yielded nothing!  lol  Anyhow, I checked the local user accounts list and didn't see it there, only administrator is listed.  Where is this info, and can I remove it so I can add this username?

Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:42 PM

All replies

• Your users may not actually be gone. I'd check to see if the "Windows Server Identity Management Service" is running (in Services). My guess is that it's not. I'm living that hell right now. There are three services that get shut down, becuase of some problem with my "Windows Server Server Backup Service". Same issue. Started with a crash, then a reboot, then hell.

But I can get that first "Server Identity Management" service running. Once that is running all your users should pop back in the list.

Saturday, October 15, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hay,

We have got the same problem over here. Does anyone have a cause? And a solution? Or any ideas what went wrong?

Monday, October 17, 2011 11:17 AM
  • The only reference I have seen to this was that the BUS ( backupserver ) driver was corrupt, removing it and replacing it ( there were no steps given ) allowed the backup service to restart. It was a partial fix, as adding users continued to fail. The poster stated they received the fix from calling MS support.
    Ben Ogilvie www.hdtvtoyz.com
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:18 PM