none
Vista 64-bit not backing up RRS feed

• Question

• I finally have my WHS rebuild up and running but I am unable to successfully backup my Vista 64-bit machine. I have been able to backup this machine in the past although that was prior to the server rebuild and a Vista reinstall. I have read several of the other posts about similar problems. I have run chkdsk and it did not seem to find/fix anything. I have not tried to rebuild the backup portion of the server because I am able to backup my other two machines which are running W7 RC without a problem, so I'm thinking the server end is not the problem. I know how to access  the server logs but I'm not sure what I'm looking at/for. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:47 PM

Answers

• Sorry it has taken so long to post a solution. I've never really had much in the way of bad hardware in the past but on this build I ended up with bad RAM, a bad motherboard, and a bad hard drive. Now that it is all replaced, fortunately all still under warranty, I have my server back up and running. I just got done doing a manual backup successfully and in the next couple of nights I hopefully will also see successful automatic backups.
    In the end I don't know which component was the cause of the problem or if it was a combination of two or three, but it is fixed now.
    Thank you to everyone who helped in getting this fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:57 PM

All replies

• I finally have my WHS rebuild up and running but I am unable to successfully backup my Vista 64-bit machine. I have been able to backup this machine in the past although that was prior to the server rebuild and a Vista reinstall. I have read several of the other posts about similar problems. I have run chkdsk and it did not seem to find/fix anything. I have not tried to rebuild the backup portion of the server because I am able to backup my other two machines which are running W7 RC without a problem, so I'm thinking the server end is not the problem. I know how to access  the server logs but I'm not sure what I'm looking at/for. If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Anything with the words "warning", "error", "invalid", etc.  :)

Have you tried running a manual backup?  If so, when does it fail?  Is there an error message?  If so, what does it say?
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 12:22 AM
  • Nothing comes up one the Vista machine. I do get a balloon on the other computers saying that the Backup Service has stopped working. On both automatic and manual backups it stops right around 35% or so. The backup service starts back up after a minute or two and all I'm left with is a Yellow error box in the Network Health saying that the most resent backup on the Vista machine was unsuccessful.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Here is the error signature in the report that is generated.

szAppName : whsbackup.exe     szAppVer : 6.0.2030.0    
    szModName : whsbackup.exe     szModVer : 6.0.2030.0     offset : 0003cbc4  
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 7:14 PM
  • Here's another bit of information I found in the error long.

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\whs_pp2\qhs\src\backup\util\sort.cpp(1205)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:31 PM
  • I would follow the instructions you will find here to run chkdsk on all the drives in your server.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 8:55 PM
  • I ran the chkdsk on the server and came up with 391385988 KB in bad sectors. Is there any way to fix those or find out which disk they are on? All the hard drives are less than a year old would bad sectors be covered under warranty?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 3:24 AM
  • That is somewhere near 375 GB in bad sectors! Tell us more about your hardware.
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 1:38 PM
  • For starters I have a slightly different error report that I believe was generated while I was trying to run a backup cleanup.

szModName : whsbackup.exe     szModVer : 6.0.2030.0     offset : 0003c9b4  

Here are the specs on my server. The oldest parts on this list went into service mid-November. The MOBO,RAID card, iStar cage, 1.5TB and one of the 1TB drives are new to this build.

The MOBO is a Super Micro X7SLA-H with an Atom 330
    2GB RAM
    Adaptec 2045 PCI-E 8x RAID card with 2x WD 1TB green drives running as single volumes in iStar cage attached via SAS
    WD 1TB green drive in Icy cage attached via SATA to MOBO
    WD 1.5TB green drive as system drive attached via STAT to MOBO
    610W PC Power & Cooling PSU

My speculation is that the bad sectors are on the 1.5TB drive because it jumped from 7% to 34% usage with no files added to the server. Looking at the SMART for the drive it only has 100 power on hours. What's the easiest way to confirm my speculation?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:12 PM
  • For starters I have a slightly different error report that I believe was generated while I was trying to run a backup cleanup.

szModName : whsbackup.exe     szModVer : 6.0.2030.0     offset : 0003c9b4  

Here are the specs on my server. The oldest parts on this list went into service mid-November. The MOBO,RAID card, iStar cage, 1.5TB and one of the 1TB drives are new to this build.

2GB RAM
    Adaptec 2045 PCI-E 8x RAID card with 2x WD 1TB green drives running as single volumes in iStar cage attached via SAS

My speculation is that the bad sectors are on the 1.5TB drive because it jumped from 7% to 34% usage with no files added to the server. Looking at the SMART for the drive it only has 100 power on hours. What's the easiest way to confirm my speculation?
    Look at the chkdsk logs.  Some/all of the errors should have a path starting with C:\fs (for example, C:\fs\X, which is a volume mount point).  Login to the server desktop and go to C:\fs.  Then right click on whichever mount point is mentioned (in my example, X) and select Properties.  Then click on the Properties button.  It will tell you the capacity of that hard drive.  If it's 1.5 TB, then you know which one it is (since you only have 1 of those).  (By the way, is it a Seagate?  If so, you might have one of the original drives that had problems and needs a firmware update.)
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 11:17 PM
  • Some users have had problems with 1.5 TB drives when those drives were connected via SATA, but configured as Legacy IDE for maximum compatibility. Is that the case here?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 1:15 AM
  • Some users have had problems with 1.5 TB drives when those drives were connected via SATA, but configured as Legacy IDE for maximum compatibility. Is that the case here?

If I remember correctly the mobo is set to use the SATA as IDE. So, is the possible solution as simple as going into the BIOS and changing that setting or are there other steps involved?
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:43 AM
  • Look at the chkdsk logs.  Some/all of the errors should have a path starting with C:\fs (for example, C:\fs\X, which is a volume mount point).  Login to the server desktop and go to C:\fs.  Then right click on whichever mount point is mentioned (in my example, X) and select Properties.  Then click on the Properties button.  It will tell you the capacity of that hard drive.  If it's 1.5 TB, then you know which one it is (since you only have 1 of those).  (By the way, is it a Seagate?  If so, you might have one of the original drives that had problems and needs a firmware update.)
    Is there somewhere other than the information at the end of the scan that I can find more detailed information? At the end of the scan it simply says there are bad sectors but is not more specific than that. The chkdsk method that I used is the one that Ken has a link to earlier in the thread. And the drive is a Western Digital.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Is there somewhere other than the information at the end of the scan that I can find more detailed information? At the end of the scan it simply says there are bad sectors but is not more specific than that. The chkdsk method that I used is the one that Ken has a link to earlier in the thread. And the drive is a Western Digital.
    Check the event logs on the server.  There should be some mention of the chkdsk scan in there.
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 4:38 PM
  • Check the event logs on the server.  There should be some mention of the chkdsk scan in there.
    I found the logs. All three drives listed in C:\fs have logs with no bad sectors and they are the 3 1TB drives. There was an incomplete scan of C:\ drive that was showing errors. Seeing as the system portion of the 1.5TB drive seems to be affected by the bad sectors, could that be playing a role in the problems I'm having?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:16 PM

I looked in the BIOS and I have the option of configuring SATA drives as IDE which is selected, RAID, or AHCI.
    Monday, September 14, 2009 9:18 PM
  • I found the logs. All three drives listed in C:\fs have logs with no bad sectors and they are the 3 1TB drives. There was an incomplete scan of C:\ drive that was showing errors. Seeing as the system portion of the 1.5TB drive seems to be affected by the bad sectors, could that be playing a role in the problems I'm having?
    I could see how you might have problems if it was the D partition (which is on the same physical drive as the C partition).
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 4:48 AM
  • Well, I'm now kind of confused. Since I have all those bad sectors I called WD to see about getting it replaced under warranty. Before they did that they had me download and install their diagnostic program. I ran both the long and short version and it passed both. So, do I really have bad sectors? Which scan is right? If chkdsk is wrong why is it showing up like that and how do I fix it?
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:45 AM
  • How much data is backed up, maybe you should start over again. This is what I would do, first you listed this as your computer -
    2GB RAM

On this MB you have 4 Sata ports so why are you using the "Adaptec 2045 PCI-E 8x RAID card" card? Try to simplify this and take that card out, hook up the drives directly to the MB, reformat the drives reinstall WHS and start over. I don't know how much backup data, shard folders and such that you have.

This is my opinion only, I don't know how much data that you have but I would take it back to basics and start from there. It sounds like the drives are relatively new and running the WD Diagnostics isn't showing anything. The one thing that I see is the Adaptec on here and I would try and remove it hook up the drives directly to the MB and go into the BIOS and run them as Sata. Then do small test and if Sata is working you can do the backups if not run as IDE as someone has already mentioned.

Again, this is what I would do to start to figure this out, my opinion.

Don
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 2:49 PM
  • To a certain extent I have started over. The reason I have the RAID card in there is because I don't have enough ports on the MOBO, there are 2 1TB drives I have not gotten around to adding to the server yet. Once I add these drives I'll have about 5TB on the server. On this rebuild all the drives I have added have been blank when I added them and then the data was transfered onto them. The only problem I see with running them as SATA is that I can't choose which drives are SATA and which are IDE and you seemingly can't boot off SATA. 
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:30 PM
  • I was going on the information provided that you had 2 installed with 4 ports on the MB there is room for 2 more drives to the best of my knowledge. If they were all 1TB that is 4TB total or if you have a couple of 1.5TB you could make it up to 5TB. Either way that is a lot of room for information.

"I can't choose which drives are SATA and which are IDE and you seemingly can't boot off SATA. "

You shouldn't have to choose, I have WD Drives that are Sata and in the BIOS they are that way. I installed the drives first and then loaded WHS and it booted, saw or what ever had to be done without problems. In my experience I have had no problems booting off a Sata drive that was hooked up to the MB.

If I was in the position, again my opinion I would remove the card and hook up the drives to the MB and start over. You can add more drives as needed later or if you have everything now, know the drives are good just hook everything up now and go from there.

That is all I can really add to this.
    Don
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 3:44 PM
  • Maybe I wasn't clear on my end. In the BIOS if I disable the enhanced ATA/IDE setting the system will not boot because it does not see the boot drive. If I have the setting enabled I have the options listed above and it is all or nothing, you cannot specify the settings on the individual drives.
    As far as storage goes. I have about 4TB of information to store on the server prior to duplicating some of the folders with will add about another 500GB so being limited to 4 HHD's is not an option and is the reason I rebuilt the server this time.
    I am currently trying to get all my files off the 1.5TB drive so I can send it in for a RMA. Hopefully I'll get the new drive back shortly and can get my server up and running soon.
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 5:38 PM
  • Yes I see what you are saying, drives are working "independently" so that is the setting.

Back to the original errors that you are having I haven't had this problem with any of the OS's x86 or x64. I have been doing a backup of Vista x64 until recently for the last year and never had a problem. I rebuilt it many times which required that I "delete" the computer off of WHS and then start the backup all over again and didn't have these problems.

Don
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 6:46 PM
  • Sorry it has taken so long to post a solution. I've never really had much in the way of bad hardware in the past but on this build I ended up with bad RAM, a bad motherboard, and a bad hard drive. Now that it is all replaced, fortunately all still under warranty, I have my server back up and running. I just got done doing a manual backup successfully and in the next couple of nights I hopefully will also see successful automatic backups.
    In the end I don't know which component was the cause of the problem or if it was a combination of two or three, but it is fixed now.
    Thank you to everyone who helped in getting this fixed.
    • Marked as answer by Mouseskowitz Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:57 PM