Registration and activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I bought my computer in the begining of December 2009.  It came with Windows Vista.  The It family member loaded Windows 7 for me that he apparently had legal users of and that I could use one those.  Not knowing about the registration and activation process accetra.  I made use of the windows 7 but raelly got annoued when finding out that he could not get me the correct activation key that I needed to register my new computer etc.  Last week my whole computer came crashing down with AVG flashing all over and eventually my computer stopped working.  I was not to worried because I knew I still had my own Windows Vista that I have not yet used at all.  I took my computer in to and IT company around the corner from me and they chip chop loaded my vista the internet my broadband connection wireless excetra.  I am concerned now because I see that the activation key they have entered does not corrospond with my activation key at the bottom of my computer.  They also said that they registered my product but they did not even have any of my personal information.  Now so worried.

Retha 

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:26 AM

Answers

• "Caprihomeglassart" wrote in message news:f884aa8f-b57d-48b6-9c6f-cccfa49d688d...

Hi there,

I bought my computer in the begining of December 2009.  It came with Windows Vista.  The It family member loaded Windows 7 for me that he apparently had legal users of and that I could use one those.  Not knowing about the registration and activation process accetra.  I made use of the windows 7 but raelly got annoued when finding out that he could not get me the correct activation key that I needed to register my new computer etc.  Last week my whole computer came crashing down with AVG flashing all over and eventually my computer stopped working.  I was not to worried because I knew I still had my own Windows Vista that I have not yet used at all.  I took my computer in to and IT company around the corner from me and they chip chop loaded my vista the internet my broadband connection wireless excetra.  I am concerned now because I see that the activation key they have entered does not corrospond with my activation key at the bottom of my computer.  They also said that they registered my product but they did not even have any of my personal information.  Now so worried.

Retha 

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Registration is completely different to Activation  - and is not necessary or even important.
    It's quite normal for a machine which has been recovered using the manufacturer's disks to have a different Key to the one on the COA sticker - so it may not be anything to worry about.
    Post the MGADiag report, and we can tell you what's happened (to a large extent, anyhow)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 18, 2011 12:47 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:50 AM

All replies

• "Caprihomeglassart" wrote in message news:f884aa8f-b57d-48b6-9c6f-cccfa49d688d...

Hi there,

Retha 

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

Registration is completely different to Activation  - and is not necessary or even important.
    It's quite normal for a machine which has been recovered using the manufacturer's disks to have a different Key to the one on the COA sticker - so it may not be anything to worry about.
    Post the MGADiag report, and we can tell you what's happened (to a large extent, anyhow)

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, February 18, 2011 12:47 AM
    Monday, February 14, 2011 9:50 AM
  • No reply from the Original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Friday, February 18, 2011 12:47 AM