none
PocketSense Quotes OFX file not accepted in Money Plus RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:  Until Monday, I had been successfully using the Python scripts ofxpy_pocketsense to download my stock and mutual fund quotes which MoneyPlusDeluxe automatically imported.  Prices updated correctly.  Since Monday, Feb 14, I get an error message something to the effect that the ofx file is corrupted.  I have downloaded and installed the Microsoft OFX analyzer for Money which is able to analyze the ofx file structure and determine if the file is suitable for use with Money.  No joy with that. The results using the GetData.py and Setup.py portions result in the same error.  Could I get some suggestions on how to fix this?  Thank you.

Jeff

• Edited by Cal LearnerModerator Saturday, February 19, 2011 11:06 PM insert "PocketSense Quotes" into title
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:29 AM

All replies

• Likely due to a change by Yahoo quote server: SECNAME was not returned.

For PocketSense, see the bottom part of

http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2010/11/replacing-microsoft-money-continued-nov.html?commentPage=2

Look for a post by Dan as a start point (search for string: February 13, 2011 3:04 PM )

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Thank you for responding hleOfxQuotes.....the scripts seems to be working again today the the prices have updated in Money.  I did nothing different.

Regards, Jeff

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Ah ... I just check, look like Yahoo quote server is returning the SECNAME now (for NYSE).

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 3:16 PM
  • Pocketsense not saving valid OFX files again on my Windows 7, 32 bit pc.  On my Windows XP machine, the script works fine.  Both pc's have ActivePython 2.7.1 installed.  Money OFX Data Analyzer reports "File Failed Parse" and the following:

HRESULT       = -2147450874

Error Code    = 242
    Severity      = X
    Type          = C
    Error Message = XCInvalid Data at "%s".  Length of data longer than allowed. (Data in pszBuffer)
    Other Info    = MNYSGMPB: SGML error at (null), line 14 at ">":
              XCInvalid Data at "\011XFI.ORG".  Length of data longer than allowed. (Data in pszBuffer)

Current Buffer = s

Any ideas here?

Thank you.

Jeff

Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:40 PM
  • You want to distinguish whether the OFX file is the one fabricated by PocketSense that contains just quotes, or if the OFX file is from a broker or credit card.

Note there are changes being worked on for PocketSense. One change is to make the quotes more robust. You might want to try the open beta (see http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/867159fc-a9e0-4255-8567-5bb914e80778) If you have a problem while trying that, can feed the info back to the developer.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:29 PM
  • The OFXAnalyzer can be cryptic, but it seems to not like the <ORG> value in your file.

From the OFX spec: <ORG> Organization defining this FI name space, A-32

Is the text following <ORG> longer than 32 characters?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 7:46 PM
  • To Cal:

The OFX file is the one created by pocketsense; I am just asking for stock and mutual fund quotes; no downloads of banking or broker info.  The prices are retreived by GetData.py and/or Setup.py  and I see them in the comand.com window, but pocketsense is not able to create a valid OFX file that can be used by MoneyPlus, at least not in the Money running in Windows 7.

For Bobster:  the OFX files that I have analyzed with OFX Analyzer don't have any text containing ORG.  I don't know where OFX Analyzer gets this value.

Jeff

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:44 PM
  • Try opening a command window and cd to your xfr folder. Execute this command:

find  "<ORG>" quotes*.ofx

That will show the field under discussion. It would be expected to read "<ORG>broker.com"

Is your PocketSense sites.dat files identical between the working and non-working install? If not, I would copy the file from the working to the non-working installation.

One more thing: make sure your PocketSense folder is not within your "Program Files" folder or your Windows folder. If it is, move the folder to either a subfolder within your Documents folder, or to somewhere else -- such as maybe create "C:\etc\" and put that PocketSense folder in there if you would rather.

Saturday, February 19, 2011 10:52 PM
  • Cal:

find "<ORG>" quotes*.ofx....    returns the name of the quotes file  followed by <ORG> sites.google.com/site/pocketsense

The sites.dat files are identical.  I had copied the working to the non working.

Pocketsense is in its own directory which is a sub directory of MoneyPlus.  I will try putting it in a once removed from the root directory.

Thank you for your help with this.  As an aside, I downloaded and configured the Java program hleOfxQuotes and it works correctly. I would like to get the pocketsense working however.

Jeff

Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:35 AM
  • Good deal. I see that that <ORG> value means you are using  PocketSense beta. While OFXAnalyze flags the string as too long, Money itself probably ignores the over-spec-length field. I will pass the information to the developer. Don't worry that you are using the beta.

I feel that getting the Pocketsense folder out of the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus" folder will be the actual cure.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 12:46 AM
  • Cal:

I moved the Pocketsense folder out of the Microsoft Money Plus folder but that did not matter.  Still get the "File parse failed" when analyzing the OFX file with OFX Analyzer.  File cannot be opened by Money Plus.

Jeff

Sunday, February 20, 2011 4:32 AM
  • I suggest you download the revised PocketSense Python Scripts: 19-Feb-11 BETA zip file at  http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2011/02/script-update-available-for-testing.html#comments  and overwrite the  files in your Pocketsense folder with the newer files.
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Cal: 

I downloaded and installed the Feb19 pocketsense beta and it seems to work correctly now with the previously troubled Windows7 install of MoneyPlus.  The OFX file generated by the getdata.py script is acceptable to OFX Analyzer.  I note that if I manually import the OFX quotes file out of the pocketsense/xfr folder  into Money that prices do not update.  For example, I have opened an OFX quotes file with notepad, changed some prices, saved the file, reanalyzed the file to ensure its validity, and tried to import it into Money.  Money indicates "Import Complete", however, the prices do not change.  Is this normal in that the prices can only be changed once per day?

Thank you for your attention into this matter.

Jeff

Sunday, February 20, 2011 2:48 PM
  • It is normal that only the first quote for a date brought in via OFX. If you want your quotes to only have closing prices, you need to not get the quotes while the market is open or for the next half hour to allow for delayed quotes.

For experimenting with downloading quote files, as you were, the thing is to restore a backup before bringing in the quotes again. When you restore a backup, you can choose to restore to the last-used filename (overwrite your existing *.mny file) or specify a different name for an experimental file. The MRU (most recently used) file list at the bottom of the File menu will let you easily switch files.

If you now look at the <ORG> field, you will see that the vaue is a shorter value. I am glad things are working for you.

Sunday, February 20, 2011 7:07 PM
  • The backups behave as you describe Cal.  Thank you for your help with this.  Hopefully, tomorrow the quotes will update normally in the .mny file.

Regards, Jeff

Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:25 PM
  • I would wait until Tuesday 4:30 PM EST. Markets are closed Monday. http://www.nyse.com/about/newsevents/1176373643795.html
    Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:30 PM