none
Improvement for FAQ item "How do I avoid spam" RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to suggest that you rework the FAQ item "How do I avoid spam" as I found/find it confusing.

This FAQ item appears under the section "User Profiles, Registration, and Login" but the advice/instructions provided have nothing to do with your user profile or registering. It applies to posting a question so the FAQ items probably should be under that section "Posting".

For example:

... we would recommend modifying [your email address] to one of the following:
  • someone@example.com.(donotspam)
  • someone@REMOVE_CAPS_AND_INVALIDexample.com
  • someone@example.com.NO_SPAM
  • You definitely do not want your profile email to look like one of these or the forums won't be able to contact you for updates on posts you are following.

I first raised this as a question in the Forum Issues forum and I don't mean to rehash the discussion from there, rather the outcome of that discussion is a suggestion for an improvement to the FAQ which is my focus here.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:48 AM

Answers

• Here are some suggestions for updating the FAQ in order of difficulty, easiest to hardest:

1. Move the item How do I avoid Spam? to the Posting section.
    2. Same as (1), add to item:
      The best way to avoid spam is to never post your email address in a forum question or reply. If you do include your email address in a question or reply ...
    3. Same as (2), add new item to User Profiles section to replace moved item:
      Is my profile email address secure?
      The email address you provide as part of your profile will never be publically visible anywhere in the forums. It is used solely to permit the forums engine to send you alerts. [Any other reasons?]
    • Marked as answer by John Calvert Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:23 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hello John

Thank you for your post!

From your post that I know you want to avoid the spam. Now there ways to report the spammer, 1.report them at http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads 

2. send the email to the Forums Escalation <fissues@microsoft.com> .

3. click the "Report as abuse" link under the post.

Then the appropriate team will evaluate it and take the action.

Hope this would be helpful.

Have a nice day!

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:37 AM
  • I would like to suggest that you rework the FAQ item "How do I avoid spam" as I found/find it confusing.

This FAQ item appears under the section "User Profiles, Registration, and Login" but the advice/instructions provided have nothing to do with your user profile or registering. It applies to posting a question so the FAQ items probably should be under that section "Posting".

For example:

... we would recommend modifying [your email address] to one of the following:
  • You definitely do not want your profile email to look like one of these or the forums won't be able to contact you for updates on posts you are following.

I first raised this as a question in the Forum Issues forum and I don't mean to rehash the discussion from there, rather the outcome of that discussion is a suggestion for an improvement to the FAQ which is my focus here.

Yuanli, these are good points.

But I think John is talking about this FAQ page:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help

Here's the question:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/help#108

How do I avoid Spam?
    It is likely that you will receive unwanted messages (spam) in your e-mail account. To avoid Spam, try providing a different version of your e-mail address that others will understand but spam tools cannot automatically pick up. For example, if an actual e-mail address is someone@example.com, we would recommend modifying it to one of the following:

By codifying your e-mail address in this way, legitimate correspondents will use your actual address, while automated spam tools will send mail to the invalid address.

An alternate strategy is to use a secondary e-mail account, such as a Hotmail account, that is separate from your primary account for posting to discussion groups.

=====================================

So the issue here is context. I think the FAQ is talking about inserting your email address in Forum threads and John's point is more about what email you enter in your profile settings.

I agree with John's conclusion... that the Spam question is in the wrong section. I'll see if I can find the right person to fix this.

Thanks!

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:47 PM
  • If people have suggestions around how to better state this let me know and we can consider updating the faq. I'd actually like to move the help file to a wiki topic or something, since updating it is such a hassle.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:19 AM
  • I think John's idea (in the OP) is a better way of stating this information. A wiki is also a good idea.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Here are some suggestions for updating the FAQ in order of difficulty, easiest to hardest:

1. Move the item How do I avoid Spam? to the Posting section.
    2. Same as (1), add to item:
      The best way to avoid spam is to never post your email address in a forum question or reply. If you do include your email address in a question or reply ...
    3. Same as (2), add new item to User Profiles section to replace moved item:
      Is my profile email address secure?
      The email address you provide as part of your profile will never be publically visible anywhere in the forums. It is used solely to permit the forums engine to send you alerts. [Any other reasons?]
    • Marked as answer by John Calvert Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:23 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Thanks Ed. It is all a minor point but it caused me a moment of confusion when I first read it. Would be useful to have community content in the FAQ or make it a wiki.
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 9:26 PM
  • It is a bit awkward to accept my own answer, even when proposed by someone else. Also, technically it is my prior post that is the answer. But so be it.

Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:22 PM