none
Question regarding MCITP RRS feed

• Question

• I have been reading about MCITP and I need some input regarding the certification. The MCITP contains the following certifications:

Windows Server
    MS SQL Server
    MS Exchange
    MS SharePoint
    and other exams...

Do I need to pass all the certifications to become an MCITP or for example if take
    and pass the exams for MS SQL Server I am now an MCITP for SQL Server?

Thanks...B

Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:08 PM

Answers

• The MCITP certification is product specific.  You just need to pass the requirements for that product's exam track to become an MCITP.  You can hold multiple MCITP's for different products.  You are correct, if you pass the all required exams for SQL server, you would be an MCITP for SQL server only.

Tim Harrington - Catapult Systems - http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com
    Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:15 PM
  • In order to explain MCITP let's start from MCTS.

MCTS is like the old MCP exams. When you pass any exam, you will probably gain an MCTS certification related with your exam topic.

Generally on the certification track, there is a more advanced certification which is more valuable than MCTS. And that certification requires at least one more additional exam. These are the MCITP certifications.

If you take a SQL Development exam you can become MCTS on SQL Development. Later if you get Windows 7 support exam you can get an additional MCTS specific to Windows 7. But you will not become MCITP.

In order to complete MCITP you should complete the next required exam specific to that certification track.

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    My Personal Site
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:42 AM
  • The books wuill more than likely be exam specific, go on to the microsoft site to find the exam number of the exam you are interested and then google those exam numbers where you will find reviews on those books. I tend to buy my technical books from Amazon or eBay. I think Prometic are the only testing centres.
    If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:28 PM

All replies

• The MCITP certification is product specific.  You just need to pass the requirements for that product's exam track to become an MCITP.  You can hold multiple MCITP's for different products.  You are correct, if you pass the all required exams for SQL server, you would be an MCITP for SQL server only.

Saturday, December 25, 2010 9:15 PM
  • In order to explain MCITP let's start from MCTS.

MCTS is like the old MCP exams. When you pass any exam, you will probably gain an MCTS certification related with your exam topic.

Generally on the certification track, there is a more advanced certification which is more valuable than MCTS. And that certification requires at least one more additional exam. These are the MCITP certifications.

If you take a SQL Development exam you can become MCTS on SQL Development. Later if you get Windows 7 support exam you can get an additional MCTS specific to Windows 7. But you will not become MCITP.

In order to complete MCITP you should complete the next required exam specific to that certification track.

SQL Server and T-SQL Tutorials
    My Personal Site
    Our true mentor in life is science
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:42 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback.

Can you provide any direction where I can purchase materials and register for exams (other than microsoft website) :).

Thanks...B

Thursday, December 30, 2010 9:33 PM
  • You can purchase self-prep books from a site like Amazon or Barnes and Nobles.  Serveral different vendors make books (like MS Press, Syngress, etc.).  Just go to the site and type the exam number in the search field.  You can also get practice test from vendors like Transcender (http://www.transcender.com/)

As far as test go, you will need to sign up for the test at Prometric: http://www.prometric.com

Friday, December 31, 2010 6:03 AM
  • The books wuill more than likely be exam specific, go on to the microsoft site to find the exam number of the exam you are interested and then google those exam numbers where you will find reviews on those books. I tend to buy my technical books from Amazon or eBay. I think Prometic are the only testing centres.
    If you find this helpful, please mark the post as helpful,
    If you think this solves the problem, please propose or mark it an an answer.

Please provide details on your SQL Server environment such as version and edition, also DDL statements for tables when posting T-SQL issues

Richard Douglas
    My Blog: Http://SQL.RichardDouglas.co.uk
    Twitter: @SQLRich
    Friday, December 31, 2010 12:28 PM