none
Setup: Can we modify QS.INI? RRS feed

• Question

• When you run \FILES\INSTALL\QS.EXE from the WHS DVD on a client machine, it creates a headless installation configuration file QS.INI on the flash drive. This file includes your ProductKey and the default ServerName, which is set to SERVER.

Can we modify this file before running the install on the server? For example, I tried changing the ServerName value (to HOMESERVER), but it looks like WHS Setup changed it back to SERVER. Bug or feature?

Also, it would be nice if we could use this file to specify other network parameters such as the workgroup name (for example, if we're using a name other than the default WORKGROUP) and a static IP address for the server.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 8:58 AM

All replies

• Update: I ran Setup again with a modified ServerName value in QS.INI, and this time it worked fine. I think the problem with the previous install was that I added a new "WorkgroupName" value as a test, and I think that threw off the installer.

It would be great to know if there are other values we can add to QS.INI, as mentioned in my original post.

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:17 PM
  • WARNING. WARNING. WARNING.

QS.INI can be VERY dangerous to your data. Very. 

Please, please, please read this.

QS.INI is not an officially supported feature of Windows Home Server. It was created to help our test team automate the setup of WHS boxes.

If your machine boots from DVD and finds a QS.INI file on a USB key, it *WILL* completely automate setup.  It *WILL* erase...completely...EVERY internal HDD attached to your server. Gone. Toast.

Am I being clear? :-)

For example, if you were to leave your USB key plugged in, with a QS.INI on it, and you accidentally hit a key when your server rebooted where it says "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM..." you'd be toast.

Or, if the system partition on your primary HDD gets corrupted (say the MBR gets wiped out or the partition gets marked as inactive) and your server reboots, it will try to boot from DVD. If there's a QS.INI file there your system will be WIPED.

DO NOT USE QS.INI. We have already removed the capability to automatically generate one from setup and regret not catching it before we shipped Beta 2.

Thank you for your understanding.

Monday, April 9, 2007 3:45 AM
  • I just downloaded the new build of WHS(3790), and it keeps failing to install with an error of 0x80070002, qs.ini error 2.

I do not have a thumb drive installed but I am reinstalling from the previous version of WHS.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 4:31 PM