Why are Microsoft absolutely abysmal at answering a simple question on Windows Embedded Compact 13? RRS feed

• Question

• I have spent a ridiculous amount of effort trying to get Microsoft to answer me why I cannot sell Windows Embedded Compact 13 based products to China. 

I found this is in the licensing document. 

Why can I not get more information or updates on this? Why on earth does it only apply to Compact 13? 

Is there no way of selling Win CE 13 in China? 

More importantly why on earth can I not get a simple answer to my questions from Microsoft? Why do I keep getting put through to Microsoft's standard helpline, even though they cannot answer, even when I tell whomever I am speaking to that the line they are putting me through to won't be able to answer my questions? 

Why is Microsoft so stubbornly obtuse with respect to this issue? 

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• @ rob18767

"Windows Embedded Compact 2013" is the official product name for this latest version of Windows CE, which I will refer to as Compact-2013.

Licenses for Windows Embedded OS, including Compact-2013, is sold through a network of authorized distributor.

Typically, Compact-2013 licenses are sold to companies that manufacture and sell devices that are built on Compact-2013 OS.

Based on the information in your post, I don't fully understand your question or problem and attempt to address your question based on what I think you are asking:

1. Yes, you can sell devices built on Compact-2013 to China, with proper licensing agreement which you need to work with an authorized Windows Embedded license distributor.

2. It's Microsoft's intention to sell Compact-2013 licenses to devices manufactures/builders and not to the general public, and does not have a public facing team to address general license related question for Windows Embedded OS. During the course of developing your solution based on Compact-2013, you should have read some of the accompanied documentation relate to licensing.

3. If you are seeking to purchase Compact-2013 licenses for your device, you need to contact a Windows Embedded license distributor in your region.

If you are in China, SYNNEX is one of the distributor I know of that distribute Windows Embedded OS licenses.

If you are in North America, you can contact Arrow, Avnet or Bsquare.

Sincerely,

Samuel Phung

http://embedded101.com/samuelp101

Samuel Phung [eMVP] Blog: http://www.embedded101.com/samuelp101/ Twitter: @Samuelp101

• Proposed as answer by IoTGirlMicrosoft employee Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

The MSDN forums are for technical questions. I do understand your frustration but the questions you are asking should be answered by a Microsoft License distributer.  They are the "Channel" referred to in the answer you were given.

As for the Microsoft documentation on the subject, it can be found here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn269455.aspx

15.EXPORT RESTRICTIONS
    The software is subject to United States export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the software. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For additional information, see www.microsoft.com/exporting.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:03 PM
  • It's a licensing question - so go to the licensing experts. Licenses are legal agreements between you and Microsoft. Asking licensing questions in a technical forum made up of non-microsoft peers is a good way to find many mixed conflicting answers.  Your lawyers and auditors will appreciate that you went to a reliable source.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:49 PM
  • The Microsoft License Distributors cannot answer that question either. 

It seems that Microsoft can write documents but has no clue how it puts things in those documents. 

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:43 PM
  • I tried them and they cannot answer that question for me. 

Beyond ridiculous. 

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:44 PM
  • @ rob18767

"Windows Embedded Compact 2013" is the official product name for this latest version of Windows CE, which I will refer to as Compact-2013.

Licenses for Windows Embedded OS, including Compact-2013, is sold through a network of authorized distributor.

Typically, Compact-2013 licenses are sold to companies that manufacture and sell devices that are built on Compact-2013 OS.

Based on the information in your post, I don't fully understand your question or problem and attempt to address your question based on what I think you are asking:

1. Yes, you can sell devices built on Compact-2013 to China, with proper licensing agreement which you need to work with an authorized Windows Embedded license distributor.

2. It's Microsoft's intention to sell Compact-2013 licenses to devices manufactures/builders and not to the general public, and does not have a public facing team to address general license related question for Windows Embedded OS. During the course of developing your solution based on Compact-2013, you should have read some of the accompanied documentation relate to licensing.

3. If you are seeking to purchase Compact-2013 licenses for your device, you need to contact a Windows Embedded license distributor in your region.

If you are in China, SYNNEX is one of the distributor I know of that distribute Windows Embedded OS licenses.

If you are in North America, you can contact Arrow, Avnet or Bsquare.

Sincerely,

Samuel Phung

http://embedded101.com/samuelp101

Samuel Phung [eMVP] Blog: http://www.embedded101.com/samuelp101/ Twitter: @Samuelp101

• Proposed as answer by IoTGirlMicrosoft employee Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by rob18767 Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:00 PM
  • Thanks very much for your answer Sam!

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 11:09 PM
  • Thank for that Sam. 

Someone at Microsoft wrote that we cannot sell to China in their document. (See above)

I contacted the North America distributor who could not help me with my problem.

I contacted the Microsoft helpline who also could not answer my question and also could not direct me to anyone who could answer my questions. 

I contacted a local MS office and told them I needed to speak to someone who could answer an international OEM problem for me. I was connected to the helpline that could not answer my questions. 

I found a contact number for OEM and asked to speak to someone who could answer an international OEM problem for me and was told I could not be transferred to speak to anyone unless I knew their name. 

Eventually I contacted a forum and one scrupulous Microsoft employee kept my question alive and eventually I was directed to the right person. 

So........................ 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi Rob,

I reached out to Sam as he has extensive experience in international device development and is a Microsoft MVP.  Should you ever need outside insight, I will plug the MVP program here.  Anyone can go to https://www.mvp.microsoft.com and search for MVPs by technology and location.

Also, I will escalate your experience, documented in this thread, to the IoT Marketing team.  Unfortunately, not everyone at Microsoft understands the nuances of international licensing so your assertion in the title that this was a simple question seems to be incorrect :). However, it is my understanding that the North American Distributer should have known the answer.

Again, my apologies for the frustrating experience.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:17 PM
  • I have had it confirmed from an OEM today that Windows Embedded Compact 13 is available for sale to China and that that licensing document is out of date. 

Friday, September 16, 2016 7:58 PM
  • That is great Rob! Thank you so very much for the confirmation.
    Saturday, September 17, 2016 12:26 AM