Problem installing Connector - Configuring Backup error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi WHS forum users.

I have just reinstalled my WHS due to hardware crash. I now want to reinstall the connector software on my clients, so that they can connect to my server. I have installed all hotfixes incl. Power Pack 1. I then connect to http://server:55000 to get the newest Connector software. I start the installation and choose the default settings. The installation stops when it is trying to "Configuring computer backup". This is the error message:

Ensure that your home server is powerd on and connected to the network.
    To try again, click back. If the problempersists, contact Product support.

If you purchased your product from a hardware manufacturer or system
    builder, contact them directly for technical support on Windows Home Server.

The only option I have is to Cancel the installation. The funny thing is that the connector software says it can join the WHS. But when i open the console the client is not listet there. right now non of my clients, 2 x Vista business and 1 x Vista Ultimate can be added to the server.

When i try to run the WHS Toolkit Connector Troubleshooter I get 3 errors. Error 4.12 (Check Enroll 56000), Error 4.13 (Check Enrolll d 56000) and Error 5.2 (Check client version)

Anyone out there have any idear what my problem is? hope someone can help me.

/Thomas

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:22 PM

Answers

• Think I have found a solution to my problem.

If I uninstall PP1 and install the old Connector software I get no error, and the client is added to the WHS console. If I then install PP1 again, WHS tells me that all my Connectors needs to be updated. I can now install the newest Connector software without any errors.

I have done this to all 3 clients, and now everything is working as it should.

Thanks for giving me feedback to work on. Hope I can help you sometime. :-)

/Thomas

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:31 PM

All replies

• Thomas,

Have you tried this a few time?  It's possible the server was 'busy', so unable to process the request. - I had one Client which took about 6 goes before it finally worked.

Alternatively, you could try copying the whole Connector Software folder from the Shared folders on the server, to your Clients' desktop, and try running it from there.

I also read that for someone else, quote:

1) Pulled power plug from router
    2) Pulled power plug from cable modem (in my case a Motorola modem on the SHAW network)
    3) Re-connected power to the router
    4) Ran the WHS Connector software on all three of the machines it wouldn't install on previously...and it worked!
    5) Pulled power plug from router
    6) Re-connected power to the cable modem
    7) Re-connected power to the router
    unquote.

Colin

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:36 PM
  • Hi Colin

Thanks for your fast reply.

I have tried 3 or 4 times per computer. I guess I could try some more times.

I have already copied the Connector folder to the clients desktop. With same result.

Any other idears?

/Thomas

EDIT: I will try the router disconnect thing, and return with a result. Thanks again.

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Hi Colin

I have now tried the thing with the router, but with no luck. Nothing I do seems do work.

Do you or anyone else have an idear what the problem could be?

/Thomas

Saturday, August 9, 2008 2:02 PM
  • Think I have found a solution to my problem.

If I uninstall PP1 and install the old Connector software I get no error, and the client is added to the WHS console. If I then install PP1 again, WHS tells me that all my Connectors needs to be updated. I can now install the newest Connector software without any errors.

I have done this to all 3 clients, and now everything is working as it should.

Thanks for giving me feedback to work on. Hope I can help you sometime. :-)

/Thomas

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:31 PM
  • Thomas,

Glad you figured it out. It's helpful that you've documented it, quite often things get fixed and others don't get to hear the results.

Good luck,

Colin

Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:37 PM