Access Edge Activation Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm installing an Edge server in a DMZ and during the activate edge server (Step 2 process, the wizard terminates with an error (0x80070033). Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination comptuer is not busy or turned off... what communication is the Edge server attempting to perform at this stage?

NB: This machine has had OCS Edge previously installed/uninstalled on it (right through to Step 5)

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Mylo

Saturday, February 2, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Mylo,

I believe you are following the steps mentioned at the following page.

http://www.ocspedia.com/Edge_Server/Activate_AccessEdge.htm

Could you please share the full error detail.. the error logged in the xml file?

Ram K Ojha
    MCSE 2003 - Messaging, MCTS- (LCS 2005 & OCS 2007)
    http://www.OCSPedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com
    Monday, February 4, 2008 12:32 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue....

I'm splitting up my oc edge servers:

oc edge 1 with:

- accessedge

- webconferencing role

oc edge 2 with:

- av edge role

oc edge 1 has been succesfully installed, activated and started

oc edge 2 installion is ok but it cannot be activated:

Failure
    [0x80070033] Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator.

My question is:

Can I (re-)use the same RTCProxyService account while activating oc edge 2 or do I have to create a new account name?

Both are not working. In both cases I'm getting the error:

Is the problem related to my Windows installtion or is it something else?

Execute Action       Failure
    [0x80070033] Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator.

Initialize Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server Object   Server FQDN: soce0002dmz.sgtiocs.nl
    Server Name: SOCE0002DMZ
    SAM Account Name: SOCE0002DMZ$
      Success
    Activate Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server       Failure
    Log Action Parameter   Server Role: Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server
    Activate Component: A/V Edge Server
    Service Account: RTCProxyService
    Enable Archiving: False
    Enable CDR: False
    Start Service After Activation: False
    Unregister Existing SPN's During Activation: False
    Force: False
    Force Clean: False
      Success
    Check Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server       Success
    Check Product ID   Server Role: Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server
      Success
    Check Service RTCSRV   Service State: 0x1 (Installed)
      Success
    Check Service RTCDATAPROXY   Service State: 0x1 (Installed)
      Success
    Check Service RTCMEDIARELAY   Service State: 0x1 (Installed)
      Success
    Check Service RTCMRAUTH   Service State: 0x1 (Installed)
      Success
    Activate Office Communications Server 2007, Edge Server Service       Failure
    Activate Service RTCMEDIARELAY       Failure
    Create Service Account RTCProxyService       Failure
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 6:28 PM
  •  

I'm having an isa server installed on the same machine. Could this be the cause of the activation failure? I could totally stop it and try it again...
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 7:38 PM
  • FYI: I was installing the avedge role on the accessedge again and it was activated withou any problems. I have not found what's tha cause of the error above. Will try to install a full edge server installtion again later without installing the ISA first.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 7:02 PM
  • I'm having this issue right now as well.  I'm assuming it's trying to contact Microsoft for the activation and if the DNS is not in place and ports open to do this, thats why the error. 

Monday, October 13, 2008 4:39 PM
  • This is usally caused if the Server Service is not running on the Edge Server.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:54 AM
  • In my case it had to do with the firewall and/or name resolution.  Our firewall guys don't open the ports until the "post app hardening has been done".  I worked around it by putting the FQDN of the server in the loopback line of the host file.  So: "127.0.0.1  localhost  edgeservername.domainname.com".  This allowed the server to talk to itself witout having to leave the NIC and the activation completed successfully.

HTH

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:53 PM
  • Hi OCS'ers

Computers that have two NIC's (multihomed) , connected to different subnets, can often become misconfigured.

You want the local NIC to have priority order when they are accessed by network services.

To configure network priority, first right-click My Network Neighborhood to open the Network Connections folder. Choose Advanced, Advanced Settings to open the Advanced Settings dialog box. On the Adapters and Bindings tab, select a network connection in the Connections list and click the up or down arrow buttons beside the list to change the priority. The item at the top of the list has the highest priority; the item at the bottom has the lowest priority.

While you have the Adapters and Bindings tab open, review the bindings for each connection. Select a connection and view the bindings in the Bindings list. You can unbind a service or protocol from a connection simply by clearing the checkbox beside the item.

ref: http://www.boyce.us/windows/tipcontent.asp?ID=497

With Windows 6 you have to go: Network/Properties/Manage Network Connections

Now all the network services will look at the internal NIC first and be able to resolve correctly ect.

It's a good idea to look at all your mulithomed computers confirm correct configuration as this error scenario can cause other problems as well.

Good luck,
    KOT

• Edited by Mac McRae Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:38 PM font
    • Proposed as answer by Mac McRae Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 12:36 PM