How do I sign up if I have more than 3 systems? RRS feed

• Question

•  

What is the best way to sign up if I have more than 3 systems? Can they all be in the same circle, or do I have to set up multiple circles? How does pricing work? What about servers?
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:31 PM

Answers

•  

You can only have one subscription associated with a LiveID (the email address you use to activate).

Each subscription by license is good for up to 3 activated PCs using that LiveID.

For each multiple of up to 3 PCs, you would need another LiveID and another subscription.

A Circle is defined as all PCs activated with the same LiveID with one or more PCs optionally designated as a Hub PC. You can, therefore, only have 3 PCs in a Circle, even if you have 20 PCs using OneCare, as there would be 7 Circles.

OneCare currently only installs to XP SP2 or later (32 bit only) or any flavor of Vista. It will not run on servers.

However, the next version of SBS, due out in the 2nd half of 2008, per the press release, will include OneCare for the server and the environment, meaning the client PCs. I have not seen how this will work, but I'm sure that a Circle will be managed from the Server and will have more than 3 PCs on a license.

The current limitation of OneCare I described above is a Billing/Subscription issue, as far as I know and many people are waiting for the ability to add licenses to a single subscription, thereby allowing a larger Circle.

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:47 AM

All replies

•  

You can only have one subscription associated with a LiveID (the email address you use to activate).

Each subscription by license is good for up to 3 activated PCs using that LiveID.

For each multiple of up to 3 PCs, you would need another LiveID and another subscription.

A Circle is defined as all PCs activated with the same LiveID with one or more PCs optionally designated as a Hub PC. You can, therefore, only have 3 PCs in a Circle, even if you have 20 PCs using OneCare, as there would be 7 Circles.

OneCare currently only installs to XP SP2 or later (32 bit only) or any flavor of Vista. It will not run on servers.

However, the next version of SBS, due out in the 2nd half of 2008, per the press release, will include OneCare for the server and the environment, meaning the client PCs. I have not seen how this will work, but I'm sure that a Circle will be managed from the Server and will have more than 3 PCs on a license.

The current limitation of OneCare I described above is a Billing/Subscription issue, as far as I know and many people are waiting for the ability to add licenses to a single subscription, thereby allowing a larger Circle.

-steve

Friday, May 2, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  

I was told several months ago that there would be a version of OneCare that would install on a Windows 2000 based computer. Has that been released yet?

Thanks,

Todd

Saturday, May 3, 2008 12:30 AM
  •  t.lafond wrote:

I was told several months ago that there would be a version of OneCare that would install on a Windows 2000 based computer. Has that been released yet?

Thanks,

Todd

Hi, Todd.

I'm afraid that you were given incorrect information. OneCare currently runs only on 32 bit XP SP2 or later and Vista 32 bit or 64 bit versions. The next version of Small Business Server, based on Windows Server 2008 and currently in limited private beta will include a version of OneCare. That version may run on Windows Server 2008 and be available at retail, but nothing has been announced yet about that - all that has been announced is the inclusion of the product in SBS.

I don't expect OneCare to ever support any version of Windows older than XP SP2 for the desktop or Windows Server 2008 (which shares the code base with Vista).

-steve

Saturday, May 3, 2008 1:50 AM
  • I have the same question. It seems that the demand for more then 3 pc's is there. I have no intention of installing a server so that I can increase the size of my circle. How about selling larger circles? One price for up to 3 then a little bit more cash for each additional pc? I'd pay. Sounds liker there are others. Is this available? Is there a plan to make it so?

Sunday, June 8, 2008 10:21 PM
  •  AlexVLC wrote:
    I have the same question. It seems that the demand for more then 3 pc's is there. I have no intention of installing a server so that I can increase the size of my circle. How about selling larger circles? One price for up to 3 then a little bit more cash for each additional pc? I'd pay. Sounds liker there are others. Is this available? Is there a plan to make it so?

This is an often requested option and I am hopeful that it will be offered eventually.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:44 PM