WHS v1 storage pool drive failure results in lost backups. How can this happen? RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow I persuaded myself that WHS v1 set up the storage pool with sufficient redundancy that a single physical hard drive failure would not lose data.  I understood WHS v1 used its own "RAID" software to manage the reduncancy.  I have 9 drives and about 68% free space.  So how can it be that after the failed drive was found missing and then after being "removed" and the database is verified, most of my backups are lost, gone? 

All backups for most of the machines are gone.  Did I miss a step in the recovery?  Did I fail to set some feature to specify data redundancy? 

I am moving on but I would very much like to understand why a single hard drive failure can cause permanent data loss in the storage pool?

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 5:41 AM

Answers

• Duplication is optional; you use it on a "per share" basis. Microsoft decided that the client backup database, because of it's size and because it's "backed up" by the client computers, didn't need to be duplicated. There's a post in the FAQ section which describes what's at risk when a single drive fails.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:11 PM
  • Microsoft wrote a technical brief "Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore "  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10788  that explains what to do.  This involves copying the database file to an external hd by using the remote desktop login and executing a series of commands using the command prompt.  The hard drive used for backup is NOT added in any way to the WHS drives.  it is a bit "un-automated" to say the least but as long as your database remains small enough for a single hd this should work still.  I don't know of any update on this information for Version 2 WHS 2011 though this is an area I thought Microsoft tried to improve.

At this moment I am trying to determine if V2 is any different in this regard and hope someone will help with a link or two.

I knew all this at one time but converted my database backup drive to a WHS server backup drive (backup only shared folders) when that feature was added via service pack and forgot to get another drive for the database backup.  Proof positive that one  of the essential requirements for a backup system is automation.

Eric

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:41 PM

All replies

• Duplication is optional; you use it on a "per share" basis. Microsoft decided that the client backup database, because of it's size and because it's "backed up" by the client computers, didn't need to be duplicated. There's a post in the FAQ section which describes what's at risk when a single drive fails.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:11 PM
  • It's been a long time since I used WHS1, but did you have "Duplication" turned ON?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:14 PM
  • Hi Ken: 

Your link to the FAQ: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/828b438f-5770-4f4b-bf82-b5d2f12e3887/faq-drive-failure-risks 

My only defense is that somehow I came to believe that WHS used built-in redundancy in the storage pool for all data, not just the shared folders.

Is there a link to a procedure for restoring backups from the server backup drive?

Eric

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:07 PM
  • Microsoft wrote a technical brief "Windows Home Server Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore "  http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10788  that explains what to do.  This involves copying the database file to an external hd by using the remote desktop login and executing a series of commands using the command prompt.  The hard drive used for backup is NOT added in any way to the WHS drives.  it is a bit "un-automated" to say the least but as long as your database remains small enough for a single hd this should work still.  I don't know of any update on this information for Version 2 WHS 2011 though this is an area I thought Microsoft tried to improve.

At this moment I am trying to determine if V2 is any different in this regard and hope someone will help with a link or two.

I knew all this at one time but converted my database backup drive to a WHS server backup drive (backup only shared folders) when that feature was added via service pack and forgot to get another drive for the database backup.  Proof positive that one  of the essential requirements for a backup system is automation.

Eric

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:41 PM
  • The client computer backup database isn't backed up using server backup. Sorry.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:11 PM