none
Transfering Money to new computer RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently running MS Money Deluxe on a computer with Vista.  It is version 17.0.120.3817. Is this the sunset version? I don't believe it is.  I have never used any of the Money online services. I am buying a new computer running Windows 8.1.  I want to continue to use Money on my new computer.  Do I load Microsoft Money Deluxe Sunset on the new computer and simply copy data files to the new computer? I am not real computer smart and have never used Windows 8.1.  Please give me the detailed steps of getting Money up and running on my new computer.
    Friday, January 23, 2015 10:03 PM

All replies

• Yes, this is the US version of Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe, aka US Money Sunset.

This version will run fine on Windows 8.1.  If you have an installation file, copy it to your new computer and then run it to install Money. If you don't have an installation file, you can download one from a link in the second "sticky" post in this forum:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

After you install Money, copy your .mny file to your Documents folder on your new computer and double-click on it to open it.

I also recommend that you review your backup procedures to be sure that you have Money set up to back up frequently to both your hard drive and to an external media such as a flash drive or CD/DVD.  It would be wise to also keep a copy of the installation file in a safe place in case the download lnik should disappear.

Bill Becker

Friday, January 23, 2015 11:14 PM
  • Thank you for the quick response.  The easiest for me would be to go to the Microsoft Download Center and download Sunset from there.  Is the installation file you refer to above something in addition to this?  I have two .mny files I can copy using flash drive.  My concern would be that somehow my passwords would not work or some other issue will come up.  Is it as straight forward as you have indicated above?  Once again I am grateful for the info and help.   
    Friday, January 23, 2015 11:44 PM
  • The Microsoft Download Center is fine and you don't need anything else.  The passwords are associated with the .mny files, not the program. Since you are using the same version of Money there should be no difficulties in opening them with the current passwords.

But don't hesitate to post back if you have trouble.

Bill Becker

Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:19 AM
  • You also will want to implement the patched mnyob99.dll file. The sticky post "Money Plus bug and solution (mnyob99.dll)" tells how. If you already have a patched version, you could copy mnyob99.dll from the old computer.

The deal is that the bug causes some random memory to be overwritten. This may have no observable symptom, or it could crash something-- depending on the OS. Even though no symptom is observed with the original file, some Windows update later could cause a bad behavior.

Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:06 PM
  • In regards to the mnyob99.dll file, I have a basic problem which I need help.  I wanted to view the date on the file.  When I go to Windows Explorer and go to the Programs folder the Microsoft Money Deluxe folder does not show the files.  In other words, I can not view the subfolders or files in the Microsoft Money Deluxe folder when in Windows Explorer.  I can't figure out how to view the files. 

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:14 PM
  • A way to see MNYCoreFiles within Windows Explorer is to click Files->FolderActions->View and un-tick
    HideProtectedOperatingSystemFiles

Monday, January 26, 2015 5:30 PM