System disk replaced but no disks added to Storage Pool. RRS feed

• Question

• Recently my system disk failed so I replaced what was an 200GB sata drive with and 80gb IDE drive. I completed the Server re-install and all updates without any hassle but it has not included any of my disks from the previous installation. It was my understanding that on a re-install all my shares (providing they were under duplication) would be re-included. All I have in the disk management of the server console is theinitial system disk and a further 3 disks not included. If I go to included them I get the warning they will be formatted and all data will be lost. This is not an option. I desperately need all files on these disks!

All original disks are still powered and attached minus the original failed system disk.

Is there anyway I can get my server back to before its failed state. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:13 AM

Answers

• Tell us more about your server, please. It sounds like the additional disks were not seen/recognized by setup, resulting in you doing a new installation on just the system disk. This is something you can test by booting from the Windows Home Server installation DVD and proceeding to the hardware detection screen. If any of your disks aren't visible there, you will need to supply drivers so they can be seen. If this is the case, probably your easiest solution will be to connect the 80 GB disk to some other computer, remove the partitions on it, and reconnect it to your server. Then try a server reinstallation again, supplying drivers at the hardware discovery phase so all your disks will be seen.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Server reinstall is usually used in the situation, if the operating system fails or the system disk breaks.
    To have this functioning, the setup routine needs to see all data disks, which means, if they are not running in IDE mode, the proper drivers need to be provided eventually two times (the second time via floppy disk).
    Maybe the following FAQ can help you to get your data back:
    How to recover data after server failure

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Poady Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:52 AM

All replies

• Tell us more about your server, please. It sounds like the additional disks were not seen/recognized by setup, resulting in you doing a new installation on just the system disk. This is something you can test by booting from the Windows Home Server installation DVD and proceeding to the hardware detection screen. If any of your disks aren't visible there, you will need to supply drivers so they can be seen. If this is the case, probably your easiest solution will be to connect the 80 GB disk to some other computer, remove the partitions on it, and reconnect it to your server. Then try a server reinstallation again, supplying drivers at the hardware discovery phase so all your disks will be seen.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 3:48 PM
  • Hi Ken thanks for your swift reply. I am just running through the process again just to make sure I haven't missed anything from your reply. Originally my server consisted of 3 SATA drives 2*500gb and a 200GB which was the system disk, there was also an 80gb ide drive.
    I have just kicked off the process again, with both 500gb drives connected and a seperate 80gb ide drive on which I am using as the system disk. I have left out the original 80gb ide drive this time (was present in the previous install) and obviously my failed 200gb sata drive.

On boot from dvd I was given two options 'New Installation' and Server Restore'. Obviously choosing Server Restore I then forwarded to the load additional drivers page of which listed both 500gb drives as DATA and 80gb ide as new volume. It is now in the process of formatting system volume. I will keep you posted on how successful I am this time.

Thanks for your time.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 9:42 PM
  • This time I have a completely different problem. Windows home server setup has failed! Error reports as failing to load a service?! I think I will be purchasing a new sata drive for my next re-install?! Is there anyway I can track through my saved data disks and move my important files onto a local machine?
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:37 AM
  • Server reinstall is usually used in the situation, if the operating system fails or the system disk breaks.
    To have this functioning, the setup routine needs to see all data disks, which means, if they are not running in IDE mode, the proper drivers need to be provided eventually two times (the second time via floppy disk).
    Maybe the following FAQ can help you to get your data back:
    How to recover data after server failure

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Poady Thursday, May 14, 2009 5:09 PM
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:52 AM