Win 8: Can't write to Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• After a new install of Windows 8 on my desktop PC, I am unable to write to any of the shares on my Windows Home Server v1 (Yes, I still run V1; without Drive Extender my 18Tb is useless in 2011! ;) ).

I have the same username to log in to Windows 8 as I did before, but now when I navigate to the shared folders, I can read from the public folders just fine, but I can't access my users share folder.

How do assume the identity of my previous Win7 user with my new Win8 user?

• Edited by nero13 Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:20 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:12 AM

All replies

• Is the password for the same User Name the same?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:19 AM
  • Is the password for the same User Name the same?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Yes, it is.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Sorry for the confusion, somehow I have 2 accounts.  sl4ppy is me as well.

Just to add, my WHS user account logon name is "Chris".  At a cmd prompt on my fresh Win8 desktop machine, 'echo %username%' returns "Chris".  My passwords are identical for both Win8 Login and for WHS.

WHS permissions for user 'Chris' are 'Full' for everything, yet when I try to open \\SERVER\Users\Chris, I get "You do not have permission to access\\SERVER\Users\Chris. Contact your network admin. to request access."

If I try to copy a file to \\Server\Public\ I get "You need permission to perform this action".

Totally at a loss here. :(

• Edited by nero13 Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:20 AM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 12:19 AM
  • Hi,

I have the exact same problem, but with WHS 2011.

Since I installed Win8 on my client machine, I can read shared folder, but not write.

Any idea?

Friday, December 28, 2012 2:10 AM