How To: Recover Data after Server failure -- Hidden DE File Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to have a flakey hard drive which my WHS operatiing system is installed on.. Went into a continuos loop after a reboot from a windows update.. I hoped a server reinstall would be an option but was not provided so I seemed to be down to the final option of recovering the data from my 5 drives and then replacing the server drive (Second time I have had an issue with this drive) with a new one and reinstalling the WHS...  I was following "Olaf Engelke's"  FAQ on "How to Recover Data after a Server Failure" and ran into a problem..

I took one of my stoarge drive;s out and accessed it through a Windows7 PC in attempt to move the data to this PC..  I was able to access to the "hidden folder DE" stage but when attempting to access within the folder to see what was in the DE folder I ended up with a message that would not give me access..  I decided that maybe a switch to "adminstrator acces was necessary and  when attempting to access the hidden DE folder was gone and in replacement was a new file: "bootsqm.dat".   The overall data must be still there as I can determine over 1GB data is on the hard drive..  I switched back to user mode and the same result no longer the DE folder.

Any ideas on my issue?  Was it a mistake to attempt to access within the hidden DE folder???  Would like to understand what happened to this drive before attempting the other 4 drives.

Thanks
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:49 AM

All replies

• I seem to have a flakey hard drive which my WHS operatiing system is installed on.. Went into a continuos loop after a reboot from a windows update.. I hoped a server reinstall would be an option but was not provided so I seemed to be down to the final option of recovering the data from my 5 drives and then replacing the server drive (Second time I have had an issue with this drive) with a new one and reinstalling the WHS...  I was following "Olaf Engelke's"  FAQ on "How to Recover Data after a Server Failure" and ran into a problem..

I took one of my stoarge drive;s out and accessed it through a Windows7 PC in attempt to move the data to this PC..  I was able to access to the "hidden folder DE" stage but when attempting to access within the folder to see what was in the DE folder I ended up with a message that would not give me access..  I decided that maybe a switch to "adminstrator acces was necessary and  when attempting to access the hidden DE folder was gone and in replacement was a new file: "bootsqm.dat".   The overall data must be still there as I can determine over 1GB data is on the hard drive..  I switched back to user mode and the same result no longer the DE folder.

Any ideas on my issue?  Was it a mistake to attempt to access within the hidden DE folder???  Would like to understand what happened to this drive before attempting the other 4 drives.

Thanks
    You probably need to take ownership of the DE folder before you can access it.
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:52 AM
  • Thanks for the reply..

Can you explain "How I can take ownership" of the DE folder?  Also I assume you noticed that I no longer can "see" the DE Folder..

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:12 AM
  • Thanks for the reply..

Can you explain "How I can take ownership" of the DE folder?

See this link for an explanation of how to do that.

Also I assume you noticed that I no longer can "see" the DE Folder..

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    You're right, I missed that part.  You might try disconnecting the drive and/or rebooting the PC the drive is connected to and make sure you are going to the correct location (x:\DE, where x = whatever letter is assigned to that hard drive) and make sure you have Show hidden files, folders, and drives enabled.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 5:38 AM
  • If "view hidden files and folders" is enabled on your system and you no longer see the DE folder I expect your data is gone, at least with normal windows disk access.

AFAIK presence of bootsqm.dat indicates that the disk was checked (chkdsk) and this probably "fixed" some errors on the disk. I guess during this process access to your data was somehow lost.

You could try mounting the disk in another (XP) system and look for the DE folder. If you can not view the DE folder and you really need the data you could either have a professional data recovery company to check the disk or try yourself using a program such as Spinrite.
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:33 PM
  • I am having a similar issue but was able to find the data using a data recovery tool.  I am using Stellar Phoenix and i was able to get all of my data off of the drive.

Monday, December 13, 2010 1:58 PM