Word for Mac 2008 quitting after copy/paste into new document RRS feed

• Question

• I recently (and reluctantly) updated my Mac OS to Mountain Lion. I made sure to update my Office 2008 along with ML. Things seemed to be going fine until I tried to edit a document in Word for Mac 2008. The document I am attempting to edit was put into Dropbox after editing it on my Ipad in Pages. I opened the original document in Word, copied the text I wanted, opened a new blank document, and then pasted the text into the new document. As soon as the text appears in the new document, an error message pops up

"Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry....."

I then find this more detailed info about the crash:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
    Date/Time: 2012-10-21 01:31:49 +0000
    Application Name: Microsoft Word
    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
    Application Signature: MSWD
    Application Version: 12.3.4.120813
    Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word
    Crashed Module Version: 12.3.4.120813
    Crashed Module Offset: 0x0071e46d
    Blame Module Name: Microsoft Word
    Blame Module Version: 12.3.4.120813
    Blame Module Offset: 0x0071e46d
    Application LCID: 1033
    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
    Crashed thread: 0

I have attempted several of the suggestions on the support part of this site including changing the preferences, checking if the user account is corrupt, and doing a safe boot. All ineffective.

The easy thing would be to remove Office 2008, and then reinstall, but of course, my spouse is travelling and has hidden the original software to do the reinstallation. 

Question(s) that remains is: what is happening? Is this a result of the upgrade to Mountain Lion? Is the text I am editing corrupt (could it be that simple)? I am not techy at all, and I appreciate any help I can get. 

• Moved by Max Meng Monday, October 22, 2012 2:44 AM Off-Topic (From:Word IT Pro Discussions)
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:47 AM

All replies