Bare Metal Restore Problems: USB Vs Client Restore DVD. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using WHS 2011, all updates including the UEFI hot fix (KB2781272).  I am able to do a USB bare metal restore on my older Intel Core 2 Duo computer (Intel DG33TL MB) with no issues.  On my newer computer a Haswell Xeon (MSI H81M-P33 MB) the USB restore fails.  I have the BIOS set to "Legacy+UEFI" and I am not using any UEFI features that I am aware of.  I have tried setting the boot options to both USB and UEFI USB and it fails the same in both cases (before getting to the driver install screen) with the message  "The exception Cannot Continue.  Windows cannot continue from this exception. (0xc0000025) occurred at location 0xff18b477."  I was able to restore the drive by doing it on my older computer.  I also eventually found that I could use the Client restore disk that came with WHS 2011 to restore the computer (I had to load the NIC drivers at the driver install step which I didn't have to do on my Intel computer). 

My question is: why does the USB restore fail?

Saturday, May 16, 2015 11:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that the USB bare metal restore failed with error “(0xc0000025) occurred at location 0xff18b477” on specific device, while client restore disk successfully works.

Have you tired another USB backup(with hot fix KB2781272 installed) to perform the restore? Upgrade the firmware?

Besides, it is better to confirm with the hardware vendor about this problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 18, 2015 9:34 AM
  • I assume your Windows PE version is not compatible with the Bios.

If you create a USB installation disk of your operating system, can you boot from it and open a cmd prompt from the advanced repair options? In this case you could copy the client files from your server (in C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\ClientRestore\1FAE75EB-B11A-4883-BCEE-9AC1C6D95216) to the stick and launch the appropriate version of ClientRestoreWizard.exe from command line.

Benefit of this method is often, that the setup stick supports more network drivers from the scratch.

(Normally I use a Windows to Go disk for this purpose.)

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 18, 2015 1:13 PM
  • @Olaf,

Just attempted your suggestion today as I have a similar problem and when I tried to launch ClientRestoreWizard.exe form command line it terminated on me with an exception error.  I used a usb boot flash drive image of windows 8.1 setup dvd I use to load windows 8.1 from. Boots the install of windows 8.1.  Any suggestions on what I did wrong or what I need to try to get this to work?  Your help would be much appreciated.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:43 AM