Swapping Regular Disk Drive for Solid State Drive Causes Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I just replaced a failing 1 Terabyte drive with a 1 TB Solid State Drive.  When I started a WHS backup, it ran extremely slow, like it was doing a backup for the first time.  I finally cancelled it after an hour.

Here's my proposed steps:

(1) Delete all the previous backups for that computer

(2) Start a new backup with the new Solid State drive.

Does that sound like a good plan?

Why would WHS exhibit this behavior when the SSD drive was imaged from the hard drive and the system booted up just the same way as it did with the old drive?

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Sunday, December 24, 2017 12:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Your plane is worthy to have a try. Please note that, have a copy of important data before any change.

It is difficult to identify the exact reason, as not error/warning message. In general, as problem happens after hardware replacement, you may try to check/upgrade relate drivers, such as motherboard, SATA controller and etc. Besides, please check your SSD mode, such as IDE, ACHI. Also, you can check resource performance via Task Manager and confirm that if it is helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:23 AM
    Monday, December 25, 2017 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Your plane is worthy to have a try. Please note that, have a copy of important data before any change.

It is difficult to identify the exact reason, as not error/warning message. In general, as problem happens after hardware replacement, you may try to check/upgrade relate drivers, such as motherboard, SATA controller and etc. Besides, please check your SSD mode, such as IDE, ACHI. Also, you can check resource performance via Task Manager and confirm that if it is helpful.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RichLocus Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:23 AM
    Monday, December 25, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 28, 2017 2:10 AM
  • Eve:

Per your recommendation, I followed the instructions and it worked perfectly.

I did delete all the previous backups, checked to make sure they were all gone, and then did a new backup. The backup did complete much faster, but still took about an hour since the drive I was backing up was a Terabyte drive.

To verify it worked, I did a restore of a single file that I deleted as a test.

Apparently, there was something different that WHS noticed when I tried to use the new Solid State drive with existing backups on the WHS.  Deleting all the previous backups worked.

Thanks,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. Also, thank you for taking the time to have a detail update about the result/solution. It might be helpful for other people who has similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, December 28, 2017 6:53 AM