I am steaming MAD!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Dell computer last November 2006.  Windows XP installed - ready for Vista upgrade.  I jumped thru all their hoops, payed for shipping, and recieved Vista upgrade cd.  One major reason I bought a computer then was the "free"? upgrade.  I had not tried to install it yet -  Fear of a crash, XP good,  don't have the time with work, a newborn, etc...  I tried to install it this weekend because I had just backed up everything important after a virus that halted my internet connection for a week.  Spent two hours getting computer back onkline & working - Dell tech tells me I should go ahead & upgrade to Vista.  I ran the Upgrade assistant then loaded Vista Upgrade disk.  Almost immediately it asks for the Product key.  I enter the key, then told its invalid.  Call Dell & was told I had to Run Upgrade to Vista by April - now he says the product key is useless, not able to register with Microsoft, and I will probably have to buy Vista if I want it now!!!!   Hung up before I blew a gasket on the tech.  Will never buy a Dell again.  Can microsoft help?  Or should I just buy a Mac next?

Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:53 PM

Answers

All replies

•  andy_mw1393 wrote:

I bought a Dell computer last November 2006.  Windows XP installed - ready for Vista upgrade.  I jumped thru all their hoops, payed for shipping, and recieved Vista upgrade cd.  One major reason I bought a computer then was the "free"? upgrade.  I had not tried to install it yet -  Fear of a crash, XP good,  don't have the time with work, a newborn, etc...  I tried to install it this weekend because I had just backed up everything important after a virus that halted my internet connection for a week.  Spent two hours getting computer back onkline & working - Dell tech tells me I should go ahead & upgrade to Vista.  I ran the Upgrade assistant then loaded Vista Upgrade disk.  Almost immediately it asks for the Product key.  I enter the key, then told its invalid.  Call Dell & was told I had to Run Upgrade to Vista by April - now he says the product key is useless, not able to register with Microsoft, and I will probably have to buy Vista if I want it now!!!!   Hung up before I blew a gasket on the tech.  Will never buy a Dell again.  Can microsoft help?  Or should I just buy a Mac next?

I understand everything you are going through.  I have had a few issues with Dell myself, and many more as I worked on friends and families computers.  You should go with HP if you're going to go with a pre-built machine in the future.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:42 AM