none
Problem with Hotmail Validation and Using a VPN

Question

• Email Provider: Hotmail
    Email Client: Thunderbird

Hi,

I use Hotmail for my email. I have recently installed and use a VPN on my system. This means that my computer can now connect to the internet from different locations in the world i.e. my IP address can change depending on what country I've currently selected in my VPN software. This works fine with every program on my computer with the exception of Hotmail.

What happens is that I get multiple messages from Hotmail that ultimately fire me through a routine of having to legitimate the connection address that my VPN is currently using. I want this behaviour on the part of Hotmail to stop completely. How do I manage to do this? It really is tedious having to struggle with this.

As a suggestion for improvement of Hotmail I would like to suggest that a new configuration option is added to Hotmail such that the user can specify that they use a VPN and that it is, therefore, okay if the computer seems to (over time) be connecting to Hotmail from a variety of different countries. As things stand the number of people that are using VPNs is on the increase and it pretty well looks like Microsoft not accommodating that within Hotmail settings.

Friday, September 08, 2017 1:43 PM

All replies

• After eventually finding out how to contact Microsoft to deal with this issue I was advised to try the following instructions:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12369/add-a-trusted-device-to-your-microsoft-account

I stepped through the instructions and it seems to be working for now. I have no idea if it will work longer term or if I change my VPN IP address very frequently. Just thought I should post Microsoft's proposed solution here in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Monday, September 11, 2017 11:05 AM