Genuine OEM Office XP (2002) failed to validate today RRS feed

• Question

• I have a genuine OEM copy of Office XP Professional that I purchased with my PC about 2002. When I received it, I activated it and it has always passed all validation until after a Microsoft Update today. I have the original OEM disks in the original packaging with the Product keys for both Office Professional and Publisher. I am quite certain they are genuine Microsoft disks and were supplied by a reputable dealer at the time I purchased the computer.

When I open one of the applications (say Excel), I can look at About Microsoft Excel and the last 5 digits of the Product Id match the last 5 digits of the number below the bar code on the Certificate of Authenticity on the disk package.

Now the problem. When I open one of the applications I get a popup as follows:-

Microsoft Office Genuine Advantage

This copy of Microsoft Office must be activated before validation can determine that Office is genuine.

Genuine Office helps guard against  etc etc......

Click More for on line help activating office which I do and it fails the genuine test and if I click the link I get the following report:-

Below is a list of the products that did not pass validation and instructions for addressing each product. Recommended approach:

• If a single product did not pass validation, take actions outlined below to get genuine Office
    • If multiple products did not pass validation, identify your most needed Office product or suite and take actions outlined below to get genuine Office. Uninstall other, non-genuine Office products that are preventing you from passing validation.
    [0x80180101]

Microsoft Office XP Professional

Problem: The validation process could not be completed because a copy of Microsoft Office® on this computer has not been activated.

Solution:

Activate Office now

Start any Office application. The activation wizard will walk you through the steps required to activate Office. You will need to provide a genuine product key. For additional instructions, or if you have problems activating Office, visit knowledge base article # 828958. To learn more about the benefits of product activation, visit the How to Tell site.

I was unable to activate Office

If you are unable to activate Office by following the steps in the activation wizard, a copy of Office on your computer may be counterfeit or may have been installed incorrectly. Contact the business where you purchased Office, purchased your computer with Office pre-installed, or had your computer serviced. Ask for their help to ensure that the copy of Office you purchased or received with the purchase of a new computer is genuine.

To uninstall Office products:

1. Quit all Office programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Add or Remove Programs. (For Windows Vista, under Programs, click Uninstall a Program.)
    4. In the Currently installed programs list, locate and select products that did not pass validation
    5. Click Remove to remove the product(s) that you want to uninstall from the computer. (For Windows Vista, right-click product(s) and choose Uninstall

The product has been activated and if I try to Activate Office again, it tells me it is already activated.

What do I do about it? And please don't try to tell me that I don't have a genuine copy of Microsoft Office XP Professional because the disk package is identical in every way to the package that I have with my laptop (other than the activation code and the number under the bar code) and the software on the laptop passes the Genuine Advantage test. I might add that on the laptop, I also see the last 5 digits of the number under the barcode match the last 5 digits of the Product Id.

Regards,

OssieMac

Macker
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 1:18 PM

Answers

• Ossiemac,

Try Method 2 in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

Let us know if it worked for you!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by OssieMac Monday, February 2, 2009 11:10 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:07 PM
  • Ossie,

Please try something and let me know the outcome :-). Open your favorite browser such as http://www.live.com and type in the full 25 digit product key "including all dashes" and then hit enter. Do you receive several hits for this product key? If so there may be a possibility the key is non-genuine. In the meantime I will provide you with steps for activating Office. Should this not work please reference the yellow highlighted information and call the activation center for guidance.

From the Desktop:

Click Start,  All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the taskbar notification area next to the clock.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the “Activate Windows by phone” dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message:

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows

Then click OK.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you :-)

stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by OssieMac Friday, January 30, 2009 5:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by OssieMac Monday, February 2, 2009 11:09 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:45 PM

All replies

• Good Morning Ossie Mac

Please run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Test (MGADT) so that I may analyze the results.

By clicking the link below, you will download the MGADT.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Please tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Microsoft Office.

1. What edition/version of Office do you have? To find your edition/version click Start, Word Options, Resources, About,there you should find the title of your edition.

·         Office Basic

·         Office Standard

·         Office Home and Student

·         Office Mobile

·         Office Small Business

·         Office Professional

·         Office Professional Plus

·         Office Enterprise

·         Office Ultimate

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/product.aspx?pID=358c30c9-043a-47f4-b845-4591acd268a7&cID=fab9617a-57ff-4789-9397-6dac071b19b0&method=retail&displaylang=en

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you.

Stephen

Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 7:09 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

Information as requested.

MGADT test results:-

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Validation Code: 0

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JXBX8-6TRM8-4966W

Windows Product Key Hash: csHC0vBrYBhJkUkpp1fZH+D2K/E=

Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2114337-34519

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: OEM System Builder

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom

ID: {4B0C7953-6FF2-4336-AB11-EC770CB0407E}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-231-1

Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 0

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.105.35

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 101

WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 101 Not Activated

Microsoft Office XP Professional - 101 Not Activated

Microsoft Publisher 2002 - 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.105.35

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-231-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005_3E121E02-372-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4B0C7953-6FF2-4336-AB11-EC770CB0407E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4966W</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2114337-34519</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1085031214-1364589140-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P4S800MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1010</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040902000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7C01308F0184A063</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>B0A984CEC6F68F4</Val><Hash>J9w7XjQs1VBYAfaAYeEV9j+wIaY=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790963-20346</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>3E9CC616CD99C74</Val><Hash>akdZt6x2C4GdKbs4/K6TNzrqd60=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1691317-00346</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: yes

Marker string from BIOS: 12BE0:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|13065:GENUINE C&C INC

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

Your Question 1 and 2. (Certificate of Authenticity)

OEM Product Microsoft Office XP Pro w/Publisher 2002.

Your Question 3.

No computer manufacturer’s name shown.

Question 4.

This was fully explained in my previous post. When I open an office product I get a popup window as follows:-

This copy of Microsoft Office must be activated before validation can determine that Office is genuine.

Genuine Office helps guard against  etc etc......

I cannot re-activate it because when I try it says already activated. If I run the Genuine Validation it says that I need to activate Office first or words to that effect.

Regards,

OssieMac

Macker
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:28 PM
  • Ossie,

Please try something and let me know the outcome :-). Open your favorite browser such as http://www.live.com and type in the full 25 digit product key "including all dashes" and then hit enter. Do you receive several hits for this product key? If so there may be a possibility the key is non-genuine. In the meantime I will provide you with steps for activating Office. Should this not work please reference the yellow highlighted information and call the activation center for guidance.

From the Desktop:

Click Start,  All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the taskbar notification area next to the clock.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the “Activate Windows by phone” dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message:

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows

Then click OK.

Also you may reference the following site for various Telephone Activation Centers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Thank you :-)

stephen

Stephen Holm
    • Proposed as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:46 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by OssieMac Friday, January 30, 2009 5:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by OssieMac Monday, February 2, 2009 11:09 PM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:45 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

I'm not a Happy Chappie.

I tried your suggestion to search for the full 25 digit product key "including all dashes" and I did NOT get any hits.

Your point #1. To Activate Windows. It is NOT Windows that I am having the problem with. It is Microsoft Office Professional XP.

However, I did try the Activation for Office again by selecting Start -> All Programs -> Microsoft Office Tools -> Activate Product and I got the following:-

This product has already been activated. Therefore I can't re-activate again.

I went to the link for various Telephone Activation Centers and obtained the number for Australia but unfortunately after listening to all the options, there is no option to speak to a consultant so that is no good to me because I can't go through the Activation process because my product thinks it is already activated. It is only the MS Genuine Advantage that thinks that it is not activated.

If I have to go through the process of re-activating then first I need to know how to unactivate Microsoft Office professional XP.

I am 100% certain that I have a genuine OEM copy of Microsoft Office Professional XP. My reasons for saying this are:-

I purchased it with my computer during May 2002 from a reputable retailer who is still in business and I have a single Invoice/receipt for my computer, periferals and the OEM Software.

The disks have the Microsoft holographic design.

The package came complete with a disk for Publisher and Publisher passes the MS Genuine Advantage test and it is not likely that one of the programs from the same package passes and the other does not.

I also have a Laptop computer with the same OEM software and the disks and packaging for the Laptop software are identical in every way (except for the Activation code) to the disks and packaging for the software for the Desktop. The Laptop software passes the MS Genuine Advantage test.

Looking forward to hearing back from you with a real solution the the problem.

Regards,

Ossiemac

Macker
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Ossiemac,

Try Method 2 in this MS KB article:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/903275/

Let us know if it worked for you!

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by OssieMac Monday, February 2, 2009 11:10 PM
    Friday, January 30, 2009 3:07 PM
  •  Hi Dan and Stephen,

Firstly thank you Dan for you suggestion. However, I tried the suggestion and then went through the activation process. I got a dialog box back that said

Welcome to the Microsoft Office Activation Wizard

Activation complete

However, if I go to the Office validation site, it still WILL NOT validate my MS Office Professional XP.

I believe that the fact that I can activate the software confirms that my software is genuine (which I knew all along anyway) so now it is back to Microsoft to find out why their validation software does not work.

Looking forward to a solution from Microsoft.

Regards, OssieMac
    Friday, January 30, 2009 6:20 PM
  • Stephen,

I also ran the diagnostic tool again and here are the results. it still thinks that Office is not activated even though it did activate successfully.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JXBX8-6TRM8-4966W
    Windows Product Key Hash: csHC0vBrYBhJkUkpp1fZH+D2K/E=
    Windows Product ID: 55277-OEM-2114337-34519
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom
    ID: {4B0C7953-6FF2-4336-AB11-EC770CB0407E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.0
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-231-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 100
    WGATray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office XP Professional - 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Publisher 2002 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.105.35
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-231-1_3E121E02-385-80004005_3E121E02-452-80004005_3E121E02-312-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{4B0C7953-6FF2-4336-AB11-EC770CB0407E}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0006.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.3.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4966W</PKey><PID>55277-OEM-2114337-34519</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1085031214-1364589140-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System Manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS P4S800MX ACPI BIOS Revision 1010</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040902000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>7C01308F0184A063</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>E. Australia Standard Time(GMT+10:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.7.18.5"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="1.7.105.35"/><File Name="OGAVerify.exe" Version="1.7.105.35"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>B0A984CEC6F68F4</Val><Hash>J9w7XjQs1VBYAfaAYeEV9j+wIaY=</Hash><Pid>54186-OEM-1790963-20346</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91190409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Publisher 2002</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>3E9CC616CD99C74</Val><Hash>akdZt6x2C4GdKbs4/K6TNzrqd60=</Hash><Pid>54197-OEM-1691317-00346</Pid><PidType>4</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="16" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="10" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="10" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="10" Result="101"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 12BE0:ASUSTeK Computer Inc|13065:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Regards, OssieMac
    Friday, January 30, 2009 8:12 PM
  • To Stephen and Dan,

I tried Dan's and Stephen's suggestions again and have now managed to validate my Office XP Professional by telephone.

Not really sure what occurred before or why it failed but it just seemed to come back and say activated. I did not think that I got the option to telephone but not positive whether it was me selected the wrong option or the system. (Probably me.)

For anyone else having a problem then try the suggestion by Dan at IT Associates and then follow Stephen's instructions but substitute Office XP in lieu of Windows. Just open an Office application after deleting the Data.dat to start the activation process and select Activate by telephone. (Don't select activate over the internet.)

The telephone activation is all automated.

If I now go to the validation site then both my windows and office validate successfully.

Thank you Stephen and Dan for your help.

Regards, OssieMac
    Monday, February 2, 2009 11:06 PM