Hiding Scheduler Black Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Synctoy is working great. I have it being executed every 5 min. Is there any way to keep the command-prompt-looking window from popping up in front of my work every time. It would be great to have it truly "run in the background".
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 7:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• I assume you are already using the SyncToyCmd.exe -R"My Folder Pair" command, correct?

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:04 PM
  • Yes, I am using "SyncToyCmd.exe -R" in the XP scheduler. I don't know if the black screen I am talking about is  the SyncToyCmd application or if the application is simply a line of code that runs from the command prompt.
    Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:54 PM
  • Ok good.  I am not sure if the XP scheduler can run in uninteractive mode. 

Have you tried setting up a scheduler using an AT job?  For example, you can go to a command prompt and type AT /? to see the options and you will be able to create an AT scheduled job based on your preferrred schedule.  By default the AT jobs are not run interactively with the desktop so I expect this would allow you to do a sync and not see the command prompt whenever it runs.  Please give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Liam

Friday, February 8, 2008 12:40 AM
  • I am not familiar with the AT scheduler. Thanks for the idea. I will definitely take a look at it and get back to you.

In the meantime, I set the default size of the command prompt window to 1x1 px and it's location to 0x0 (upper left corner of screen). So at least it stays small and out of the way till I can find another solution.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 2:55 PM
  • Good thinking, I like it.  :-)

Just as a side note, adding real scheduling is one of the key features on our wish list for the future.

Liam

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Hope you can find your solution here with my post:

http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2882929&SiteID=75

Jim

Saturday, February 23, 2008 2:52 PM
  • Liam,

Using SyncToyCmd.exe -R"C Docs and Settings" in my case, for one of my two (simple) Echo from Primary HDD to Secondary HDD's, it works!!!! hahaha Well, now the only thing in my case is when I start SyncToy and look at the bottom of the screen where it shows Last run. That's my issue and it shows yesterday in my case, not today. Now yesterday was the last time I ran it before the command prompt run, which DID show what all it did and so forth. Looking under File, View log, it does show the correct last run, today.

So it does work okay when set up via command prompt, it just doesn't list the correct last run on the on-screen version of SyncToy, but it's correct in the log file. I'm happy!!!

Ted

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:49 AM