Downgrade RRS feed

• Question

• How do I downgrade WHS 2011 to WHS????
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 1:39 PM

Answers

• Ah, now I understand - there is no automatic downgrade (or upgrade) from a 64-bit to 32-bit OS and vice versa. You will have to manually transfer data from your 2011 Server to WHS-1. I would recommend backing up any data on your HDD containing the WHS2011 installation (probably the data is on D:) and install WHS1 on that disk. You can then gradually move data to your WHS1 installation (probably via a network or USB/eSATA connection if you have an external enclosure) and then add that disk into your WHS1 data pool - continue with the rest of your data until everything is on WHS1. Remember that is you have duplication switched on, you will need twice the storage capacity to store the original data.

Can I ask why you want to go back to WHS1?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by pilot53051 Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:45 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:44 PM

All replies

• Reinstall from an original WHS1 disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Thanks Phil for your speedy reply.... I apologize for notbeing more specific at the same time of downgrading I strongly prefer to not to lose data I have already stored.... I have 4 1TB drives..

With about 1.2TB space left....

Is there help for this situation, as I did boot off of the original WHS1 disk, and the only choice is a New Install, and nothing else.....

Again Thanks,  

Joe

Saturday, October 6, 2012 5:10 PM
  • Ah, now I understand - there is no automatic downgrade (or upgrade) from a 64-bit to 32-bit OS and vice versa. You will have to manually transfer data from your 2011 Server to WHS-1. I would recommend backing up any data on your HDD containing the WHS2011 installation (probably the data is on D:) and install WHS1 on that disk. You can then gradually move data to your WHS1 installation (probably via a network or USB/eSATA connection if you have an external enclosure) and then add that disk into your WHS1 data pool - continue with the rest of your data until everything is on WHS1. Remember that is you have duplication switched on, you will need twice the storage capacity to store the original data.

Can I ask why you want to go back to WHS1?

• Marked as answer by pilot53051 Saturday, October 6, 2012 8:45 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Glad to know the issue got fixed. Just adding one thing:

There are no downgrade rights on an OEM product. Also you would not be able to get the licence key for WHS v1 other than buying the complete OEM product.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Thanks for your response to this issue... As far as buying a license for WHS1 I had purchased a key back when I bought the OS...
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:25 AM
  • The reason I want to downgrade is primarily because I feel I have lost control over the system, by all the addins I had for it and which aren't compatible with WHS11... Plus have always experienced dropped Remote Server Access, which seems to always point back to Microsofts DNS Servers unable to connect... These are some of the reasons why I want to downgrade...

I have WHS1 which I purchased a couple of years back, so might as well use it, and perhaps build another server and put WHS 11 on it and start out fresh with it....

Again Thanks for your help....

Joe

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 1:35 AM