Preferred or Supported HW Resellers for WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I have a not for profit company looking for a solution to their office needs and thought this might fit the bill.  I see that HP has dropped off the list of vendors, and now I am reluctant to suggest this option.

Is there an approved vendor now or a list, or is this as simple as buying a beefy box and installing thw WHS OS?

Monday, December 6, 2010 7:36 PM

All replies

• HP isn't going to drop support just because they've dropped the Windows Home Server line. For a small or micro business, the Datavault is still a good buy. There are also a number of other vendors.

Buying hardware isn't a bad plan if you have the technical skills to sort out build issues. However, you probably don't need anything too "beefy". A good motherboard, reasonable amount of processor, 1 GB or more of memory (the 512 MB minimum for the product is barely adequate to run the base workload), and carefully chosen hard drives and you should be in decent shape.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:09 PM
  • The link from the main WHS page takes you to the HP purchase site.  Is it safe to assume that box comes preloaded with WHS and I can setup and train the users once it arrives?

An upon further reading, it isnt a standlone OS is it.  It runs on top of Win platforms so any box that can handle its needs would suffice then?

Monday, December 6, 2010 9:45 PM
  • No, it's a standalone. It's effectively Windows Server 2003 R2 "plus".

You should probably do some more reading. While I'm not against building your own server per se, you take on a lot of technical support yourself by doing so, so it may not be the best answer. There is no retail software only packaging, only system builder packaging (which has no support) or OEM servers (which are supported by the OEM).

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 12:29 AM
  • I gotcha Ken, I read the support Platforms and mis-interprted!  I work in IT but want this small non-profit to get something useful, but not for me to have to spend a lot of time helping them after its in place.

Goes back to my orogonal question, whats the preferred vendor!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 3:32 PM
  • If you're asking me for a specific recommendation, I like HP MediaSmart servers. It's a very weak recommendation, however, as I don't have much experience with the other OEMs.
    Tuesday, December 7, 2010 5:57 PM
  • Good enough for me!  When you place the order with vendor do you request WHS installed, or do the configurations only give you that?  I just want to be sure if purchased, the client is getting the box ready to go with WHS.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:40 PM