Live OneCare Install Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working with the Live OneCare Support team for nearly 6 hours over the last couple of days.  I give them access to my PC remotely to figure out why I can't get OneCare to install properly then I end up with a whole new set of issues which they send me to XP support to resolve.  I have been a onecare user for over a year and like the product but this seems a bit crazy.  All I tried to do was update my subscription that just expired, so far they have caused my pc to only start in safe mode which was finally resolved after being on the phone with them for 4 hours today which I had to pay $60 for since the onecare support rep changed all my start up setting remotely after I gave them access to my machine.

Sorry for the longwinded note, but I still cannott reinstall onecare after they removed it from my machine because it says a copy already exists, no one in XP support or liveonecare can figure out how to fix my issue.  Two days and who knows how much time and money I have invested and it still won't work.

Is anyone having a similar experience, if so how did you get it resolved?  Thanks

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:01 AM

Answers

• Try this steps and see if it helps:

Uninstall/Reinstall .Net Framework 2.0 usiung this cleanup tool http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Restart your computer

Do Windows Update using Custom, .Net Framework 2.0 should be on the list of available updates just install it

Restart your computer

Then try to reinstall Onecare

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:12 PM

All replies

• I can't install onecare because it says a copy already exists on my machine.  I have looked everywhere and there is no evidence a copy exists?  Any help?  Thanks

Wednesday, February 6, 2008 7:10 AM
  • IRL, please post your OneCare case ID here or send it to me at sboots@mvps.org with a link to this thread in the message body and "OneCare" in the subject line. I don't believe you should have had to pay for XP support, especially if this was after working with OneCare support.

As for the original problem (and you other post that I've merged into this thread) without knowing what you and the tech for OneCare did, any advice we provide will be speculative at best. I'd really like to get you back to support and have the case escalated to a higher level.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:49 AM
  • I also want to add that I deleted your post from the other thread as it was unrelated to that issue and you have your own unanswered thread here.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:51 AM
  • I have the same problem, but cannot get anywhere . Tried everything thrown at me but still unable to reinstall, sub. due for renewall may. HELP!

Thursday, February 7, 2008 11:58 AM
  •  george clark wrote:

I have the same problem, but cannot get anywhere . Tried everything thrown at me but still unable to reinstall, sub. due for renewall may. HELP!

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:48 PM
  • IRL, I've received your email and am forwarding it for review. I hope that you will be contacted soon to work on and resolve the problem. Please update this thread with the status and resolution.

-steve

Thursday, February 7, 2008 12:54 PM
  • Received reply but still cannot reinstall onecare. I have lost some important files, these are on my backup discs which I cannot open without onecare.thought onecare would be a safe place to store these files, but it seems I was wrong, will have to try and recover my files some other way and forget about onecare.

George Clark
    Friday, February 8, 2008 11:04 AM
  •  george clark wrote:

Received reply but still cannot reinstall onecare. I have lost some important files, these are on my backup discs which I cannot open without onecare.thought onecare would be a safe place to store these files, but it seems I was wrong, will have to try and recover my files some other way and forget about onecare.

George, continue working with support. If they are unable to resolve it at the first level, request that the problem be escalated.

Note that you can extract the backed up files from within the .zip files located in the backup folders on your discs. However, if any files have been split due to being large, they will need to be rejoined with a 3rd party program.

And, George, what exactly happens when you try to reinstall? What errors are you getting and what steps have you taken already to try to resolve this problem?

-steve

Friday, February 8, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Sorry for delay in replying, tried to install Microsoft.NETFramework 2.0 but rec. Error 0x80131700. Still having problems, possibly have something on comp. stopping instalations.

George Clark

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 11:28 AM
  • Try this steps and see if it helps:

Uninstall/Reinstall .Net Framework 2.0 usiung this cleanup tool http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

Restart your computer

Do Windows Update using Custom, .Net Framework 2.0 should be on the list of available updates just install it

Restart your computer

Then try to reinstall Onecare

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:12 PM
  • Can't install or reinstall Net Framework, not installed in comp. & can't install.

George

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:20 PM
  •  

Try to use this tool: http://astebner.sts.winisp.net/Tools/dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip

It will remove .Net framework.

Otherwise contact support, it may need to do manual removal for .Net framework

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:41 PM
  •  george clark wrote:

Can't install or reinstall Net Framework, not installed in comp. & can't install.

George

George, download, unpack, and run the .Net cleanup tool that Danzig linked to and then try to install .Net Framework again.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:50 PM
  •  george clark wrote:

Can't install or reinstall Net Framework, not installed in comp. & can't install.

George

Also for additional information, the reason you can't install .Net Framework is that there is a possibility that your .Net Framework 2.0 has been dameged/corrupted.

That is why you need to run the .Net Cleanup Tool to remove it from your system that will enable you to install a new one.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:04 PM
  •  

Success tool worked, managed to reinstall Net framework & reinstall onecare.

Thank you all very much for all the help.Keep up the good work.

Many Thanks

George Clark

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 2:07 PM
  •  george clark wrote:

Success tool worked, managed to reinstall Net framework & reinstall onecare.

Thank you all very much for all the help.Keep up the good work.

Many Thanks

George Clark

Excellent news, George!

Thanks, Danzig.

-steve

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:19 PM