Does Microsoft prohibit adding WiFi or wireless capability to WHS hardware ? RRS feed

• Question

• I heard that Microsoft prohibits users from adding Wi-Fi or any kind of wireless communications to the Windows Home Server (or at least prohibits some hardware OEM from doing so).  Does anyone know if this is true ?

Even though the HP MediaServer is a headless box, I understand that the HP server comes with 4 USB ports.  I don't see any reason why I can't add some a WiFi dongle or a Blue Tooth dongle to the HP server hardware and add wireless capability.  If Microsoft does impose such a restriction, does any one know if this is a technical restriction or a legal restriction ?

Zigs

Thursday, November 15, 2007 12:23 AM

Answers

• I don't know of any public site that has the ALP.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:19 AM

All replies

• OEMs are prohibited from adding a WiFi adapter. System Builders and end users may add WiFi.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:42 AM
  • Bezalel,

Do you know why OEMs are prohibited from adding a Wifi adaptor ?

If an end user adds a Wifi adaptor, would that violate warranty from the hardware manufacturer ?

Thanks.

Zigs

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:48 AM
  •  Zigs wrote:
    Do you know why OEMs are prohibited from adding a Wifi adaptor ?

OEMs need to comply with "Additional Licensing Provisions" the ALP for WHS requires that the servers have 1 Gbps Ethernet adapter and prohibits any additional NICs.

Zigs wrote:
    If an end user adds a Wifi adaptor, would that violate warranty from the hardware manufacturer ?

For external adapters, no. For internal adapters if would depend on the waranty

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Bezalel,

Great.  Do you have a URL for the latest WHS hardware OEM terms ?

By the way, are you associated with Microsoft ?  Or you are an independent developer or consultant ?

Zigs

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:05 AM
  • I don't know of any public site that has the ALP.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:19 AM
  • One of the reasons I'm sure, is that a wireless connection on a server is just asking for disaster. Windows 2003 Server doesn't have 'built-in' facilities to handle it, so would mean third party software. Plus, even the slightest hiccup would mean data loss which is something a server just doesn't need. Plus, which wireless system currently available, would handle what some of the people on here are using the system for - a couple of HD streams, backup and file sharing all at once.

Colin

Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:09 PM