New Server Setup help Please RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everyone I could use your help.

I just purchased a Dell PE2970 with 4 TB of drive space to load Microsoft Home Server on for my home network.

When I boot from the CD it goes through the hardware detecting screen and then comes back with an error that HDD is not detected.  It gives me the option to load drivers from the usb stick. 

The dell came with with the SAS 5/i intergrated card.  I called Dell and they told me that it was an LSI Card to go there and get drivers.

I have tried XP, vista, and server 2003 drivers and none of them work.  I really need to find a way to get this work or the server is no good to me.

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Ndgame
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Windows Server 2003 as also Windows Home Server have not built in support for SATA/SAS hardware.
    How is the SAS card configured? It should have no RAID features enabled, since RAID is not supported with Windows Home Server. Each disk should run as a single drive.

Drivers should be on the Server installation CD and you should be able to extract them on a different PC.

How did you put the drivers on the stick? They must be in their extracted form here (at least a .inf file and the driver file of type .sys belong to the set) and not as a setup program. Some drivers wish to be located in the root, others in a subfolder "drivers" or similar.
    Maybe you have to check the contents of the txtsetup.oem file.
    Could also be, that only a floppy drive will accepted at the text based stage of the setup later in the process.

Some interesting information you may find here:
    http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/03/13/a-dell-poweredge-server-windows-2003-x64-and-the-battle-over-sas-raid-drivers/

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:23 AM