Mimic the MS Access Attachment control in CRM 2013 online web resource RRS feed

• Question

• Dear CRM Gurus,

Here is what I need help with. Working on a project that requires converting a Microsoft Access schema to Dynamics CRM 2013. Not sure if you are aware of Access having a Attachment control that when clicked opens up an Attachment Manager dialog that would allow the user to attach, view, save,... files to a record.

I am trying to create the same functionality in CRM 2013. So far, what I have come up with is adding a html input file element to my custom web resource and somehow wire that up to/ map it to a notes attachment field on the form. This might be a lot of work and I have not started coding it yet.

I was wondering if there is a better solution. All I need is to be able to click on a button or something to open sort of a dialog as close as possible to Access Attachment Manger control and be able to open and associate files with a CRM custom record.

The html input file element gives you the Browse functionality. I can add another button called Attach next to it, to attach the file. Not sure how to display the files attached. Any inputs in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to your answers/comments. 

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 4:57 PM

Answers

• Maybe I am not understanding your question, but I think you can just use the attachment capability built in to CRM?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2013/10/30/simplified-notes-experience-in-dynamics-crm-2013.aspx 

Any entity that allows 'notes', will also allow attachments to be added to it.

Monday, April 13, 2015 8:24 PM

All replies

• Maybe I am not understanding your question, but I think you can just use the attachment capability built in to CRM?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/crm/archive/2013/10/30/simplified-notes-experience-in-dynamics-crm-2013.aspx 

Any entity that allows 'notes', will also allow attachments to be added to it.

Monday, April 13, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Thank you, Chris. I figured this out myself a while back when I published my question. But since you responded and for other people out there, I marked your response as answer. Thank you, Sir.

Just FYI...

The access has this control which is called attachment. It comes out of the box and has more buttons than the notes attachment. You can open the file, edit, and save it with the access attachment but you cannot do that with Notes attachment. Having said that, the Notes attachment works for what you need.

Although, after even customizing the Notes attachment a bit, our requirements changed and now I am using a 3 party document repository system called Onbase to display the attachments. Too much work for nothing but learned some good stuff.

Monday, April 13, 2015 8:31 PM
  • Ok, well, glad that you got it worked out.  Thanks!
    Monday, April 13, 2015 8:33 PM