WGA says my XP is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• While waiting for my XP Pro SP2 Full Retail CD to arrive from an eBay seller, I decided to use a Dell OEM CD to install. I couldn't activate it, but I expected that. When the full retail package arrived I ran a Repair Install, entered the new Product Key and was able to Activate successfully. However, I can't get any updates as the MS web site says it's not genuine.

I suspect my problem goes back to installing with the Dell CD. Should I have done a full re-install? Or did I really get a counterfeit copy of XP?

It's hard to believe I got a counterfeit copy. It came shrinkwrapped in a full retail box, with all the papers and glossy folder that encased the CD. The CD itself looks pretty authentic as does the sticker with the Product ID. The COA looks authentic, too.

I ran MGADiag.exe and I got the following. What does the Windows License Type: Volume mean? That I did get a bogus Product Key, or that it's reading some Dell information?

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0717.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HKYGK-CMVB8-CPHKG
    Windows Product Key Hash: KlfgdrQjOVq9P3b4Vb5nXUuXpPc=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-640-4180384-23176
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 0bf4fae5-8214-43f2-99ef-0cc915e56007
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.716.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.5.532.2
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: D:\PROGRA~1\MOZILLA.ORG\FIREFOX\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>0bf4fae5-8214-43f2-99ef-0cc915e56007</UGUID><Version>1.5.0717.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CPHKG</PKey><PID>55274-640-4180384-23176</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1060284298-448539723-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS M2NPV-VM ACPI BIOS Revision 0405</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20060825000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>441B36CF0184C066</HWID><UserLCID>1009</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>53C52AAD9975940</Val><Hash>fRGs6ZlNFFjnef3H3DDxRMwZlw8=</Hash><Pid>54186-751-5455045-17204</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:43 PM

Answers

• Bill:

It sounds like a very common piracy case. I HIGHLY suggest reporting the reseller and applying for a free WGA Kit (a.k.a. free genuine XP Professional) via www.microsoft.com/genuine (click Validate and then "See all options" - it should be listed as an option).

If you think you may not qualify for a free high quality counterfeit report, i still suggest reporting the reseller here: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx so we can take legal action. If this is the case, i suggest purchasing our discounted WGA Kit directly from us. This will also include an update tool incase you wish to simply change product keys instead of reinstalling again.

Let me know how I can help,

-phil

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:27 AM

All replies

• Sorry, but you have been ripped-off by the eBay seller.  You were sold an illegal "Volume License" version of Wiondows XP with an illegal Product Key.  Contact the Ebay seller and demand a refund!  Nearly 50% of the software sold on eBay has been found to be pirated, counterfeit, and/or bogus!  Never buy software on eBay, for your own protection. 

Windows License Type: Volume

Validation Status: Invalid Product Key

Sunday, November 26, 2006 9:52 PM
  • P.S.  Please report the eBay seller: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/Reporting.mspx

Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:48 PM
  • How could that be? The box was shrink wrapped, all the papers was in there. The COA looks genuine...
    Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:52 PM
  • Littlebill,

Check this link to see what a real retail COA is supposed to look like: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

See if what you received looks like these counterfeits:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx

Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:04 PM
  • Apparently, you were sold a high-quality counterfeit copy of Windows XP.  You were not sold a "Full Retail Version" as the Ebay seller apparently advertised.  Please see the following: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Counterfeit Microsoft Software Gallery: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit/default.aspx?group=windows

Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:09 PM
  • I suppose I should have used the past tense when referring to the COA; I have since disposed of the packaging. But I do recall the port hole showing individual threads, etc. It looked genuine.

I will try to follow up with the seller. His reputation is good, so he may be accomodating. Trouble is, I purchased this over 6 weeks ago.

So, presuming I do not receive a refund from the eBayer, do I have any recourse with Microsoft? Will they send me a Genuine Advantage Kit?

Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:11 PM
  • If you have a "high quality" non-genuine Windows XP CD, COA and a receipt for your purchase, it is highly likely you'll qualify for a "free" WGA Kit. You have to be running your non-genuine version of Windows XP, then visit www.microsoft.com/genuine  and click "Validate Windows". When validation fails, a button appears (Get Genuine), you then click on to it access the details of the WGA Kit offer.
    Monday, November 27, 2006 1:05 AM
  • Bill:

It sounds like a very common piracy case. I HIGHLY suggest reporting the reseller and applying for a free WGA Kit (a.k.a. free genuine XP Professional) via www.microsoft.com/genuine (click Validate and then "See all options" - it should be listed as an option).

If you think you may not qualify for a free high quality counterfeit report, i still suggest reporting the reseller here: http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx so we can take legal action. If this is the case, i suggest purchasing our discounted WGA Kit directly from us. This will also include an update tool incase you wish to simply change product keys instead of reinstalling again.

Let me know how I can help,

-phil

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:27 AM
  • Could the seller have been duped as well? I've checked his recent selling history and it doesn't look like he's been selling any other copies of Windows. I don't want to get him into any unwarranted legal trouble.
    Monday, November 27, 2006 10:19 AM
  • Littlebill,

How you handle the situation is up to you, but if he was duped, and is an honest seller, he will make good to you, his customer.

IMO, eBay is a great place to buy a lot of stuff.  However, genuine software is hard to come by on eBay.

Can you post a picture of your materials and provide a link?  This may assist others in the future.

My guess is that you got one of the hi-quality counterfeits that are out there.  Look very losely and carefully at your CD---if the hologram is a thin sticker affixed to the top of the CD, it is a HQ counterfeit.  On the genuine MS CDs, the hologram is actually embedded in the plastic of the CD.

Another clue in determining if you have a counterfeit CD is to pop the CD in the drive, navigate to this file in the i386 folder, "setupp.ini," and look at is contents.  It will have two lines of information, please post the second line.

I think what you are going to find is that yours is going to have a "600" number in it, such as "55274 640," which raises suspicions about the disc itself.  600-numbers are used in Volume installations, like the one on the computer now.  200-numbers are also used.  Retail numbers can be many other combinations that do not fall in the 600 or 200 range.

Monday, November 27, 2006 3:45 PM
  • Dan, you were right: the last three digits was "270". Also, the hologram does seem to be a sticker; I can feel a very slight "lip" between the edge of the hologram and the CD plastic. Also, upon comparison with a legitimate copy of windows, the graphics on the packaging is not as sharp. So indeed, it is counterfeit.

But, where the heck do these counterfeits come from???? You have to have some pretty high quality resources to be able to do such high end printing (they even had microtype!) and holography. The quick answer is China or Russia, but obviously this has to be a big time operation.

As for the eBay seller, I am working with him on this. Hopefully, we can come to a mutually satsifactory resolution.

lb

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 6:26 AM
  • Littlebill,

MS is very interested in the hi-quality counterfeits, so much so that in exchange for the materials you received and information on the seller, they will give you free genuine software to replace the counterfeit. 

(Just try to get that deal at your local bank if you turn in counterfeit currency!)

Genuine full retail packaged product for XP Pro normally sells for $299USD.  Genuine OEM XP Pro sells in the range of $129-$149USD.  Depending upon what you paid the seller, you may be better off sending the counterfeits in and getting a full retail license as compared to sending the materials back to the seller, getting your money refunded, and then buying genuine product.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 4:32 PM