Validation Issue because of Avast - What longterm effects? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have had Avast Free 6 (latest version) installed on a Vista machine and got the same problem as specified in the sticky post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/e2f066b3-2517-41bc-8fad-4c036f2f4ac8

The warning read:  0xC004D401 "An unautzorized change was made to Windows" and I could not access the system control panel.

I uninstalled Avast immediately and the problem went away. Everything seems to be fine.

However, now I worry, that due to this problem Avast may have damaged Microsoft system files or something of the like.

Would someone be so kind to explain to me what exactly happened with Avast and Vista? Has Avast deleted or overwritten important MS files? Will this have any longterm effects on the stability of my system?

As I said, I uninstalled Avast and will use another AV-program, which is fine for me. Would it have been better to do a system restore to the point before the program update in order to be sure that no system files were harmed or should I now leave everything as it is?

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you very much!

Thursday, June 9, 2011 5:49 AM

Answers

• "charlie2go" wrote in message news:f912aff9-377c-4ed1-9938-6fe341b42151...

Hello,

I have had Avast Free 6 (latest version) installed on a Vista machine and got the same problem as specified in the sticky post: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/e2f066b3-2517-41bc-8fad-4c036f2f4ac8

The warning read:  0xC004D401 "An unautzorized change was made to Windows" and I could not access the system control panel.

I uninstalled Avast immediately and the problem went away. Everything seems to be fine.

However, now I worry, that due to this problem Avast may have damaged Microsoft system files or something of the like.

Would someone be so kind to explain to me what exactly happened with Avast and Vista? Has Avast deleted or overwritten important MS files? Will this have any longterm effects on the stability of my system?

As I said, I uninstalled Avast and will use another AV-program, which is fine for me. Would it have been better to do a system restore to the point before the program update in order to be sure that no system files were harmed or should I now leave everything as it is?

I would appreciate any help!

Thank you very much!

As far as we are aware, there is no lasting damage from the Avast issue - it appears to be some kind of synergistic result which doesn't affect all users (and Avast are unable to replicate the results, they claim)
    The Tamper that actually causes the problem is a Mod Auth In Memory one - that means that a file is modified in RAM, after it's been read from the disk. As such the file itself is not modified in storage, so the effect is a transient one, but sufficient to trigger the obvious ill effects. There is no discernable change to the files on disk.

HTH?

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:21 AM