Combining payees RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to combine payees without changing the original Payee in the register?  For example, my natural gas utility was originally called Brooklyn Union Gas. It then became Keyspan Energy and is now National Grid.   I'd like to combine all of my payments to them on one Payee's listing, but I don't want my checks written to Brooklyn Union to say that they were written to National Grid.
    Saturday, December 29, 2012 3:33 AM

All replies

• I am not sure... I doubt it. Give it a try. Make a copy of your file or make an extra backup in case you want to undo something.

Go to Banking->AccountTools->Categories&Payees->Payees
    (better yet, click Shortcuts at the top and add Payees as a
    shortcut to make navigation like this shorter) which shows how
    downloaded names are translated into Payees. 

To reduce the number of existing payees, click Payees in the left
    column.  Select a payee and use Move to combine payees.  This is
    better in most cases than Delete.

While you are at it, it is usually a good idea to select Tools->Settings->OnlineServiceSettings->ReplacePayeeNames....

Now suppose combining Payees is not what you want. You can maybe make a report based on the Category rather than the Payee. To change the category for all transactions with a given Payee,   go to Tools->FindAndReplace and choose the Advanced Search.  After you do the Find portion, it will present a Replace portion.  There you can make changes to the Payee or Category, etc for selected transactions.

Here is something you might consider. You could change the Memo field for all Brooklyn Union Gas transactions to "Check sent to Brooklyn Union Gas". Then combine all of the gas Payees to National Grid, but you would have the Memo to tell you to whom the check was written.

Saturday, December 29, 2012 5:36 AM