Solved Vista activation problems RRS feed

• General discussion

• We took delivery of six new Toshiba laptops three weeks ago with Vista business installed.  Three of them immediately announced they had to be activated as soon as they were started. 

We re-activated all three, which seemed to go well until a fourth machine popped up a window the next day letting us know that it had now decided it needed to be reactivated, which was strange since it was fine the day before.

Again we went through the activation only to receive a non-genuine notice.  The frrst three we had activated were now popping up activation notice balloons again, but we couldn't because it said they were already activated.  This is silly!, is Microsoft selling an OS or a subtle game program to test intelligence?.   Sure, I could go through the trouble to find out why and maybe solve the problems, but why should I have to?.

Microsoft must produce a sanitized version of Vista suitable for business.  We don't need a DRM loaded system, we don't watch HiDef movies at work, I guarantee you.  Equally, we don't need overdone graphics, video trinkets, draconian licensing and incredibly annoying activation schemes to add to our already overloaded support team.  The 5 or 6 hours we wasted fiddling with Vista activation cost the company more then the licenses themselves.

Business needs a robust, stable and supportable OS without silly features and Microsoft needs to fix it right, clean it up or forget the business market. We solved our problem by reformatting the disks and installing XP Pro using our enterprise license.  The Vista license papers were warehoused for compliance and then I had the pleasure of putting all six Vista disks into the shredder since I won't be needing them for anything.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007 10:43 AM

All replies

• if you wanted a stable os for business purposes, you should have just stuck with xp. As you saw when xp came out, it takes at least a full year to work out the bugs.
    Thursday, March 29, 2007 2:56 PM