New User - Questions re: using SyncToy with Western Digital portable drive. RRS feed

• Question

• Ques:  I  just bought a WD Passport Essential 500GB external drive, and it was recommended I use XP backup with it since the software included   with the drive has problems  In reading further, it was recommended to use WindowsXP Sync Toy .    Which is better?  

It was also recommended when I set up my external drive, it will by default format in fat   32 (Used on older computers?)  Since my desktop was custom built 5-6 yrs ago and has XP 32 bit, is it fat 32?

Thank you!    Deb

Sunday, September 6, 2009 9:31 PM

All replies

• Hello Deb,

I have a Western Digital 250GB External drive and I use sync toy.  I find that this program works very well for me and I did not use the software that came with my drive.  I think the problem with XP backup is that it creates a backup file of your files which bundles everything in one file.  You require XP backup to restore all  your files to your computer.  If you wanted to manually copy over the backed up files at a later date you would have trouble doing so as they would be saved on your drive as a back-up file.  Sync Toy copies the files over maintaining the same structure that is currently on your computer making individual files easier to access.

Your desktop is most likely NTFS which is standard for Windows machines.  FAT32 is compatible with both Apple and PC computers with a limitation on the file name length and also you are limited to files that are a maximum 4GB is size.  FAT32 is an older format.

You can check how your desktop was formatted by checking your hard-drive properties
    Go to my computer - right click on your hard-drive (usually c-Drive) and select properties.  Under 'File System' it should indicate how your drive is formatted.

Hope this helps.

Aleksander
    • Proposed as answer by Yiming L Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:05 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:40 PM