Transfer of valid lilcense RRS feed

• Question

• I own and run 3 personal computers using a local area network. I have 3 valid copies of Microsoft Windows XP Pro.  Two are Dell 8400's and one is a Dell 4100. I am in the process of building a new Duo Core PC which will replace the Dell 4100.

How can I load the Dell 4100 copy of Windows XP Pro on the new machine for testing, and then once everything is operating (both hardware and software) properly keep that copy on the new computer? I will be shutting down the Dell 4100 and no longer using it (will be recycling it.)

With a 4th copy of Windows XP Pro on my Dell laptop, I surely don't want to pay for yet another copy when one of them wouldn't even be used after the new machine is up and running.

I lost the license key (for the 4100) several years ago (during our move and reinstalling everything) and called MS and they gave me a new key over the phone. Is that key still valid?

Is there an easy way (or anyway) to do this?

Help would be appreciated!  Thanks

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:37 AM

Answers

• An OEM version of Windows XP is non-transferrable to a different computer.  Only "retail versions" of Windows XP are transferrable.  Your Dell OEM license for Windows XP must remain on the Dell computer it shipped with, otherwise it is invalid for use on a different computer.

Please read your End-User License Agreement by going to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter. Then click on "End-User License Agreement".

Saturday, June 17, 2006 2:48 AM