Cannot mount the Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I am running XP with SP3.  The backup feature of WHS is working great.  It backs up everything every night.  About a month ago I tried to look for a file that was backed up.  The View Backup gets to about 97% and then pops up a window that says "Cannot Mount the Backup."  I called HP and worked with their tech support several times, but they have not been able to solve the problem.  I have read several posts in this forum about similar problems.  I have tried every solution on this forum, but none work.  Can anyone help?

I have two identical computers that are backed up nightly and the problem happens on only one computer.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:49 PM

Answers

• I am running XP with SP3.  The backup feature of WHS is working great.  It backs up everything every night.  About a month ago I tried to look for a file that was backed up.  The View Backup gets to about 97% and then pops up a window that says "Cannot Mount the Backup."  I called HP and worked with their tech support several times, but they have not been able to solve the problem.  I have read several posts in this forum about similar problems.  I have tried every solution on this forum, but none work.  Can anyone help?

I have two identical computers that are backed up nightly and the problem happens on only one computer.
    You might try checking the event logs and/or the WHS logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) on that client and see if they give more details.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:44 AM
  • If you have a spare disk with enough space, you could try to attach this as secondary drive to the client and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server. Now try to restore the entire volume.
    If this works, there is nothing wrong with your backup, but your client may have an incompatibility not yet covered by any of the patches in the past.
    In this case please register on Connect as outlined in this historical thread and issue a bug report.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:08 AM
    To clarify, which is true:
    1. You have two computers; you are able to open backups for one of them (but not the other) on both.
    2. You have two computers; you are able to open backups for both of them on one (but not the other).
    If the former, you may have a problem in your backup database. You can use the Repair feature in the Windows Home Server console; this will attempt to repair whatever issues might be found. Note that the Repair feature may (probably will) delete at least some backups if problems are found, because almost any problem with the backup database means some backups are corrupt. And it may delete all of them, depending on what issues are found.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:50 PM

All replies

You might try checking the event logs and/or the WHS logs (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs) on that client and see if they give more details.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:44 AM
  • If you have a spare disk with enough space, you could try to attach this as secondary drive to the client and run ClientRestoreWizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server. Now try to restore the entire volume.
    If this works, there is nothing wrong with your backup, but your client may have an incompatibility not yet covered by any of the patches in the past.
    In this case please register on Connect as outlined in this historical thread and issue a bug report.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 11:08 AM
    To clarify, which is true:
    1. You have two computers; you are able to open backups for one of them (but not the other) on both.
    2. You have two computers; you are able to open backups for both of them on one (but not the other).
    If the former, you may have a problem in your backup database. You can use the Repair feature in the Windows Home Server console; this will attempt to repair whatever issues might be found. Note that the Repair feature may (probably will) delete at least some backups if problems are found, because almost any problem with the backup database means some backups are corrupt. And it may delete all of them, depending on what issues are found.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:50 PM