WHS and backing up Virtual machines - warning RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just a warning should you be backing up VM's to WHS

Today i cloned an existing VM that was already added to WHS and renamed the VM i.e. Computer name and added a new user account

WHS now sees the renamed VM as the original and automatically changes the name in the WHS Console to reflect the new computer name - which is good on one hand but not so good on the other

Running up the original VM causes WHS to swap back to the old name! - So in theory you can back up two machines to the same backup set - eek!

To sort this out it appears you have to re-register the original VM to whs - to get it to see it as a "new" PC even though its the old one

Also when i backed up the new VM it updated the original backup set! even though i had re reegisted the old vm

The fact that i was using VM's is not the issue here as it could easily happen if you cloned a PC onto similar hardware as well

For me its not the end of the world that the backup sets don't quit match but could cause confusion or lost files

Yes i know that using VM's is probably unsupported but i think this would happen with genuine hardware as well

2 pata, 4 sata, 4.4tb storage, 2gig ram - home bake system
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:41 PM

All replies

• That's a known issue whenever a machine gets cloned (not only in virtual environments). You have to change the SID to fix that. For example run NewSID or SysPrep.
    LightsOut - Power Management for Windows Home Server http://www.home-server-blog.de/add-ins/lightsout/#en
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 3:04 PM