Vail user interface nonresponsive but shares work RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vail refresh installed on an i3-530 system with 4GB RAM and multiple disks.  Today I found that I could not log into the system.  The local console will let me log in as Administrator, but I get a blank desktop, except for the build info at the bottom right.  Remote desktop fails with a remote access failure.  Launchpad reports the server as off-line.  Remote web access fails to connect.

I can get task manager on the local console, and most services are stopped.  Since I don't know the norm, I didn't play here.  There was a process called "runonce" which looks like a piece of an installer package. 

I restored two previous versions from the backup drive, one and four days ago, and nothing changed.  I could go back further, and probably will, before reinstalling.

The odd part is that I can see Vail in the Homegroup and all of the shared folders, and can access them.

Prior to this, the server had behaved pretty well. I've not made any changes in hardware, software, or data content since the announcement of DE removal, and I had full access within a few days.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, December 18, 2010 1:30 AM

All replies

• I restored from Dec 1, and the UI came back.  Not sure what happened, but after restoring, I found multiple updates dated Dec 14.  Could one or more of those failed to install properly and led to the issue?  All the updates installed properly this time.

Saturday, December 18, 2010 2:02 PM