can not add a new drive RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to add a new hard drive but I can't. It keeps on saying it's not possible because the drive is in use by another program so it can't be formatted.
    This happened several times, in which the console became unresponsive for a long time and then it stuck.
    So i REMOVED THE DRIVE ADDED TO A VISTA PC, it is healthy, recogised immediately, and right now I am formatting it.
    I opened up again the console the specific hard drive is reported missing, although it had never been added correctly, and the disk management shows some data activity on it.
    How can I add it back?

Friday, March 20, 2009 1:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    the FAQ How do I resolve file conflicts could help you to figure out the reasons and find a solution.

The other way would be to attempt the unsupported removal of the missing drive in the registry of your server. Be aware, that such changes in the registry are dangerous and may result in the need to reinstall the server from the scratch, if you hit the wrong key.

1. Login to the Windows Home Server desktop.
    2. Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    3. In Registry Editor navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
    4. Find the right disk by looking at the contents of each of the key listed (also check the attributes key)
    5. Copy or write down the name of the registry key referring to that disk (systemname) or export it.
    6. Delete the key referring to the missing disk.
    7. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.
    8. Take a look for volume keys containing the systemname of the disk you want to remove (step 5) and delete all instances containing this key (export also those keys, if you are not 200% sure).
    9. Close Registry Editor and reboot.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Pettakos Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:18 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    please try the procedure outlined in the FAQ How to reinitialize a disk, which is not accepted for the storage pool.
    Good luck
    Olaf
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:24 PM
  • First, now that you've formatted it, anything that Windows Home Server may have stored on the disk is gone. So data loss at this point is a definite possibility.

My recommendation is to use the Remove a Drive wizard in the console to remove the missing drive from the storage pool. You may see warnings that you will lose files or backups, depending on whether you had duplication turned on for all your shares or not (files) and whether components of the backup database were on that drive (backups). Because (as I said) you've already formatted the drive you've already lost those, so you will have to accept that and continue. (If you are warned that you will lose backups, you will need to run the repair database wizard that the toolkit provides.) Then it should be possible to reconnect the drive and add it back to the storage pool. If you lost files, hopefully you kept a copy of them; your backup database is likely completely lost if that warning is presented.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:42 PM
  • I tried to remove it but to no avail. It keeps on saying that it was not possible due to file conflicts.
    But ther are not any file conflicts.
    Unless you mean physiacally reapply the disk, connect it and remove it through the console.
    I'll try what Olaf suggested and see what happens.
    Thanks once again.

Andreas

Greetings from Athens
    Friday, March 20, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Fianlly I managed to add the drive. Now i'm running into another problem.
    The same drive is reported as missing under the server storage tab since the beginning.
    Tried to remove it, it's impossible cause it says there are file conflicts which is not true.
    I guess I still have the option  to leave it as it is, since it doesn't really blocks any other activity.
    I have to check though thoroughly to see if I can waork with the server flawlessly.
    Any ideas?
    Friday, March 20, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Pettakos said:

Fianlly I managed to add the drive. Now i'm running into another problem.
    The same drive is reported as missing under the server storage tab since the beginning.
    Tried to remove it, it's impossible cause it says there are file conflicts which is not true.
    I guess I still have the option  to leave it as it is, since it doesn't really blocks any other activity.
    I have to check though thoroughly to see if I can waork with the server flawlessly.
    Any ideas?

Does your server show as healthy (green icon)?  If not (and I assume it doesn't), can you open the Network Health indicator in the Console and tell us the exact message(s) shown?
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:01 PM
  • No, it doesn't.
    It says in the storage status that the drive has failed (the same one appears as healthy at the storage hard drives directory-since last added the overall capacity of the server has increased accordingly) and that the backup service isn't running-oops the last one just disappeared.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:09 PM
  • Pettakos said:

No, it doesn't.
    It says in the storage status that the drive has failed (the same one appears as healthy at the storage hard drives directory-since last added the overall capacity of the server has increased accordingly) and that the backup service isn't running-oops the last one just disappeared.

But nothing specific about file conflicts (other than when you try to remove a drive through the Console)?  In that case, you might want to file a bug report on Connect.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:23 PM
  • i GUESS CAUSE THE DRIVE IS BRAND NEW AND IT WAS ALSO FORMATTED IN A VISTA PC A COUPLE OF HOURS AGO.
    wHEN I TRY TO REMOVE IT THE WHOLE PROCESS BEGINS and then hangs.
    Friday, March 20, 2009 10:27 PM
  • Hi,
    the FAQ How do I resolve file conflicts could help you to figure out the reasons and find a solution.

The other way would be to attempt the unsupported removal of the missing drive in the registry of your server. Be aware, that such changes in the registry are dangerous and may result in the need to reinstall the server from the scratch, if you hit the wrong key.

1. Login to the Windows Home Server desktop.
    2. Click Start/Run and type regedit.
    3. In Registry Editor navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Disks.
    4. Find the right disk by looking at the contents of each of the key listed (also check the attributes key)
    5. Copy or write down the name of the registry key referring to that disk (systemname) or export it.
    6. Delete the key referring to the missing disk.
    7. Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\Storage Manager\Volumes.
    8. Take a look for volume keys containing the systemname of the disk you want to remove (step 5) and delete all instances containing this key (export also those keys, if you are not 200% sure).
    9. Close Registry Editor and reboot.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Pettakos Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:18 PM
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:58 AM
  • Thank you very much Olaf.
    I edited the registry and problem solved.
    The only conflict that I am running right now is backup database error, I will reboot the server and see how it will develop
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:19 PM
  • If the backup database is faulty, you can try the repair button in the console. If this does not help, delete the entire backup database (if the repair function doesn't it on its own),
    For doing so login to the server and open a command prompt.
    Type following commands:
    net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

Now delete all files and folders in D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}.
    If some files are undeleteable, these might be tombstones to parts of the backup database on the failed disk.
    Try to delete them from the command line with a command line like
    fsutil reparsepoint delete d:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\filename
    or
    d:
    cd \folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    for %i in (*.*) do fsutil reparsepoint delete "%i"
    if those are multiple files.

Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Now I can't log in cause the console opens itself in a nice blue screen with the WHS logo at the lower right corner.
    Not with its usual apppearance.
    Thereby, I can't work with it.
    The same applies when I try to log in via remote desktop.
    I'll reboot again and see what happens.
    Btw, the shares are all accessible.
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Still the same. What am I supposed to do?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:26 PM
  • Hi Andreas,
    what exactly have you done before?
    If the operating system has issues, you may have to perform a server reinstall, which is a specific installation mode, in which all data will be kept and only the operating system will be reinstalled.
    Is this an OEM server or a self built system? If the later, what happens, if you login locally? (And - does it have a NVidia or ATI video card in this case? Those drivers have a known issue, which may break Remote Desktop.)
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:51 PM
  • I finally managed to clear the backup database, but only when i logged in locally as you said(monitor, keyboard, mouse).
    Otherwise it was not possible.
    Server is running smoothly at the moment, and I am going to back up my pc's since they are cleared.
    Thanks again for the assistance, Olaf, I greatly appreciate.
    To be honest, a server reinstall wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.
    It gives you the opportunity to work with a clean system as we do in other os (Xp, Vista, etc).
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:14 PM
  • It's a self built system, with an Ati Radeon X1550 video card, Asus P5Q Mb,
    13 hard drives, run both from the motherboard and 3 pci raid sata cards.
    Is this known to cause any issues?
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:25 PM
  • Hi Andreas,
    glad to hear that it works again.
    Since the backup database is not duplicated a failed disk can cause it to break due to missing parts. This may also cause the backup service failing to load together with other potential side effects.
    A server reinstall with 13 harddisks may not be that funny, especially as you have to add the SATA drivers at a certain point (which sometimes does not work very well, since Server 2003 in its original version did not know about SATA).
    Olaf
    Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:40 PM