Windows 7 Activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my new PC but had some major problems with the hardware.  It went back to the supplier who ran some tests and reloaded Windows as part of the solution.  Unfortunately the activation which they left me to do has been left and now the 30-days has been reached.  I've now tried to enter my product key but it comes up as not being valid as the supplier had installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

Is there anyway legitimate way of getting round this without having to re-install Windows and lose programs/data?
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:11 PM

Answers

• "George-Bindon" wrote in message news:f92f96fa-c27c-4daa-a7fb-a0bae09ad568...
    I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit on my new PC but had some major problems with the hardware.  It went back to the supplier who ran some tests and reloaded Windows as part of the solution.  Unfortunately the activation which they left me to do has been left and now the 30-days has been reached.  I've now tried to enter my product key but it comes up as not being valid as the supplier had installed Windows 7 Home Premium.

Is there anyway legitimate way of getting round this without having to re-install Windows and lose programs/data?

If your Ultimate is a Full Retail version, you can do an Upgrade install using it – boot to Windows, and insert the disk.

If it’s an OEM version you may have to to the Upgrade install using the Default Key (by not entering a Key during the process), then change the Key to yours, after completion.

If it’s a n Upgrade, then you shouldn’t be using it on a new PC unless it came preinstalled with another Windows  (probably Home Premium) – in which case try the Key on the COA sticker.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, December 29, 2011 10:38 PM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:02 PM