I didn't realise this!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Live Writer for a couple of months to publish posts to my Blog on Blogspot. Today I went to my Picasa Web Albums to check some photos and was surprised to see a new Album called 'Windows Live Writer' which contained 380 photos, 190 of which were duplicates!! This was really eating into my space allowance on Web Albums. I had never seen anything while uysing live Writer to tell me that it would be storing Blog pictures on Picasa Web Albums, and I don't know why each photo is duplicated!
       Anyone else had this experience or have an explanation why? I naturally assumed that the Live Writer would store any pix on a MS webspace.
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 12:11 PM

Answers

• Thanks Brandon - you saved me a huge amount of work with your suggestion. I had just started manually reinserting all the photos in my blog, when I saw your hint to 'change the photo a little'. I did not understand at first, but then I went to WLW and changed the 'Borders' setting and the 'link to' setting, and even though I could see no way round having to do this photo by photo, it was 10 times quicker than the alternative, and now I have everything back as published originally!  I still have 376 pictures in an Album called Windows Live Writer' in my Picasa Web Albums, many of which are duplicates - but I won't go through the trauma of 'tidying them up' again!!

What WLW Team need to do is first explain in their User's Guide, especially to Blogger Users (I can't speak for other Blogs) that WLW will store two copies of each photo they want to publish in their own existing Picasa Web Album. 
            Perhaps if I hadn't had one and been signed in when I first used WLW, it would have had to go through a process of setting up the Album, and I would have been aware of it. However, as it went, I was unaware of the existence of the WLW Album, until I saw it while browsing my Albums, and consequently had no option to set Access permissions and rules.
        Secondly, for any user of WLW --> Blogger, particularly if you have a photo-intensive Blog, it would be nice to set up a new Picasa Web Album for the purpose, or at least select an existing one, or designate another space on the web to store the Blog pictures. Would that be so difficult?

Anyway, profuse thanks for your time and help in getting to the root of this issue.

I must say that I also raised the issue with Microsoft Customer Support, and was eventually given a thorough reply by a 'Subject Matter Expert', Zaida from the Windows Live Writer Technical Support Team, who, although she didn't pick up on the way you suggested to republish the pix, was extremely helpful with explanations, and promises to put forward my suggestions. She also thought that if I did not want to save multiple images in Picasa Web Albums for each photo published, then it could be achieved by selecting 'none' for the image properties for 'Borders' and 'link to' and publishing the picture in the original size. However I don't think this is practical, as the standard size for a blog picture to fit the column width is 400 x 300 pixels, and it would mean resizing all my pictures for upload.

• Marked as answer by pauladev Monday, February 16, 2009 4:03 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:23 PM

All replies

• For Blogger we store the images on Picasa.  There is 2 of every image because one if the inline picture, and one if the click through that is a higher resolution and doesn't have some of the effects applied(black and white for example).  You can also configure it use FTP as well.  We only store the images on Microsoft's servers if you are using Windows Live Spaces or the photo album feature.
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by CeKay Monday, February 16, 2009 1:45 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Amazing - so for every photo I publish there are two taking up my Picasa Web Albums space! Surely that is worth publicising!  The photos in the blog never seemed to enlarge when clicked anyway!

Now I have a problem, because I deleted what I thought were duplicates from the Picasa Web Album (to save Mb)  after a trial by just deleting one. However, it didn't appear to make any difference so I deleted the rest, and now it looks like the trial failed to take into account that the cache held the page. Now I find I have no pictures on all the blogs I published with WLW!  Can I get round it by republishing each blog, or do I have to go back to my old ways and upload each picture individually to Blogspot.
        Grateful for your advice 
    Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:46 PM
  • I think if you open the posts and just do a little something to it to make the image different, it will reupload the images.

I'm sorry that WLW caused you some problems with your blog.  Hopefully it will work out better in the future.

-Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    • Proposed as answer by CeKay Monday, February 16, 2009 1:44 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2009 1:26 AM
  • Thanks Brandon - you saved me a huge amount of work with your suggestion. I had just started manually reinserting all the photos in my blog, when I saw your hint to 'change the photo a little'. I did not understand at first, but then I went to WLW and changed the 'Borders' setting and the 'link to' setting, and even though I could see no way round having to do this photo by photo, it was 10 times quicker than the alternative, and now I have everything back as published originally!  I still have 376 pictures in an Album called Windows Live Writer' in my Picasa Web Albums, many of which are duplicates - but I won't go through the trauma of 'tidying them up' again!!

What WLW Team need to do is first explain in their User's Guide, especially to Blogger Users (I can't speak for other Blogs) that WLW will store two copies of each photo they want to publish in their own existing Picasa Web Album. 
            Perhaps if I hadn't had one and been signed in when I first used WLW, it would have had to go through a process of setting up the Album, and I would have been aware of it. However, as it went, I was unaware of the existence of the WLW Album, until I saw it while browsing my Albums, and consequently had no option to set Access permissions and rules.
        Secondly, for any user of WLW --> Blogger, particularly if you have a photo-intensive Blog, it would be nice to set up a new Picasa Web Album for the purpose, or at least select an existing one, or designate another space on the web to store the Blog pictures. Would that be so difficult?

Anyway, profuse thanks for your time and help in getting to the root of this issue.

I must say that I also raised the issue with Microsoft Customer Support, and was eventually given a thorough reply by a 'Subject Matter Expert', Zaida from the Windows Live Writer Technical Support Team, who, although she didn't pick up on the way you suggested to republish the pix, was extremely helpful with explanations, and promises to put forward my suggestions. She also thought that if I did not want to save multiple images in Picasa Web Albums for each photo published, then it could be achieved by selecting 'none' for the image properties for 'Borders' and 'link to' and publishing the picture in the original size. However I don't think this is practical, as the standard size for a blog picture to fit the column width is 400 x 300 pixels, and it would mean resizing all my pictures for upload.

• Marked as answer by pauladev Monday, February 16, 2009 4:03 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Further problem with the pictures. During my last blog session and directly because of the duplication of pix stored in Picasa Web Albums, my 'Windows Live Writer' Album reached the 500 picture limit for a single album. Live Writer then opened a new web album in Picasa entitled exactly the same as the first one.

Since then, whenever I have opened a recent blog for editing, the pictures in WLW appear blank with a cross in the top right hand corner. The only way to make them load is to select the picture frame and then go to 'Link to' and reselect 'Source Picture' which then loads the photo into WLW. This has to be done for each and every photo, otherwise they remain blank, although it doesn't seem to affect the published picture on the blog.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to make the second WLW album in Picasa Web Albums link back to the editor?

Saturday, February 14, 2009 8:04 PM