Linking to files in shares using Whiist RRS feed

• Question

• I use Whiist to create links on the public Remote Access page and links on the private Remote Access page. This works great for any outside link or even linking to a particular folder in a Folder Share via Remote Access. What I can't figure out is how to link to a particular file in a Folder Share. I haven't had luck navigating to the file and copying shortcut path as the link. This takes me to the folder the file resides in, but will not download the file itself. An example of a copied shortcut is below:

https://whs.homeserver.com/Remote/files.aspx?share=e92c5dc7-a662-4e5a-ad17-dbb2b0f1dd1d&path=Important+Folder#

The file download functionality is embedded within the /remote/files.aspx code and I can't figure out how to point it to a particular file.

I'm able to create a virtual directory in IIS on WHS which works fine, but am looking for a way to leverage the existing Remote Access Shared Folders functionality to access a file directly.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thank you!

Mike

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• AFAIK there's no easy way to do this; from the Whiist FAQ:

"Q: Will internet users be able to access my files?

A: Only files in the folder used for your website will be accessible to the public. I recommend giving this folder an obvious name (e.g. public_html, website, etc) to avoid confusion."

and a bit further down this page in a post from Andrew Grant:

"The easiest way would be to create a regular webpage which contained a main html page with links to the documents.

E.g. your folder structure may look like;

\\websites\teaching
    \\websites\teaching\index.html
    \\websites\teaching\files\Lesson1.doc
    \\websites\teaching\files\Lesson2.doc

index.html would then contain a description of each lesson with a hyper-link to the file, or to further webpages.

There are a variety of packages you can use to create/edit the index file, Microsoft Word is surprisingly good."

• Marked as answer by Mike Wheatie Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:36 AM

All replies

• AFAIK there's no easy way to do this; from the Whiist FAQ:

"Q: Will internet users be able to access my files?

A: Only files in the folder used for your website will be accessible to the public. I recommend giving this folder an obvious name (e.g. public_html, website, etc) to avoid confusion."

and a bit further down this page in a post from Andrew Grant:

"The easiest way would be to create a regular webpage which contained a main html page with links to the documents.

E.g. your folder structure may look like;

\\websites\teaching
    \\websites\teaching\index.html
    \\websites\teaching\files\Lesson1.doc
    \\websites\teaching\files\Lesson2.doc

index.html would then contain a description of each lesson with a hyper-link to the file, or to further webpages.

There are a variety of packages you can use to create/edit the index file, Microsoft Word is surprisingly good."

• Marked as answer by Mike Wheatie Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:36 AM
  • Thanks brubber. I'm actually able to create Virtual Directories in IIS to accomplish this rather than going through the complexity of creating custom websites to host the links. I'm simply using Whiist as the vehicle to create links either on the Public or Private Remote Access pages. I was hoping to expose the already existing file structure of the Shared Folders functionality (unrelated to Whiist), but it doesn't look like that is possible.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Wheatfill

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:43 PM