onecare does not finish a tune-up i RRS feed

• Question

• for what ever reason the tune-up stops at 70% every time I try to run it any answers?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:35 PM

Answers

•  Chiliboy wrote:

Rick,

I've tried doing this. The "complete scan" reaches 41% and then my computer freezes.

By "freezes" do you mean completely unresponsive to the point that you must reboot the PC or kill the processes?

In any event, I suggest contacting support for help with this problem. Freezing of any sort is not normal and may indicate that OneCare can't deal with a specific file or location due to file corruption or infection.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:29 PM

All replies

•  

scottdillman,

Thank you for contacting the Live OneCare program forum. Is this an ongoing issue? How long have you had OneCare installed? Have you tried running a complete scan of your computer for viruses and spyware? Start there if you haven't. Then reboot, and try the tune up again.

Rick, MS

Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:35 PM
  • Rick,

I've tried doing this. The "complete scan" reaches 41% and then my computer freezes.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:12 PM
  •  Chiliboy wrote:

Rick,

By "freezes" do you mean completely unresponsive to the point that you must reboot the PC or kill the processes?

In any event, I suggest contacting support for help with this problem. Freezing of any sort is not normal and may indicate that OneCare can't deal with a specific file or location due to file corruption or infection.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:29 PM
  • Steve,

Yes, my computer is completely unresponsive and I have to reboot it. My computer was purchased about 7 months ago, replacing one I had for several years. I am very careful about the sites I visit and I never open emails, other than those from people I know.  

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Infection is purely speculation on my part in that there have been reports of the lockup happening when an infected file is encountered. I would imagine that the file could also not be infected, but corrupt. or that the scanning engine just can't deal with the bits it is reading when access the file or file location. Support is really the way to go to have this investigated. If it turns out to be a bug in OneCare, it would be good to get this reported.

-steve

Wednesday, November 12, 2008 6:02 PM