none
70-511 versus 70-536/70-502 RRS feed

• Question

• Time for a variant on a question that's been asked a kabillion times before.

I've been in school, aiming for my MCTS: .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Presentation Foundation Applications - the one that uses exams 70-536 and 70-502.  As I moved toward these, a new cert just became available: MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Windows Applications , using only exam 70-511.

That brought up several questions:

While the information in 70-536 is valid and valuable, is there any point or benefit to getting the (now) old certification?  An IT friend of mine, who has multiple MS certs, said that there is seldom a reason not to get the most current certification.  Anyone agree or disagree?

If I choose to aim for the new cert, how might I proceed?  Just continue with the same classes, "2956B/2957B: Core and Advanced Foundations of Microsoft .NET 2.0 Development"?

I'm scheduled to take "6460A: Visual Studio 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation" in a couple of weeks.  Is that still the best class currently available if aiming for the 70-511 test?

Also, the info page says that the class for 70-511 is in development...  Any idea what that means, time-wise?  And any idea how long it usually takes the Self-Paced Training Kit to follow?

I know I have more questions that I just can't quite articulate yet.  I'm hoping a little discussion will give me some clarity around this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:21 PM

Answers

• While the information in 70-536 is valid and valuable, is there any point or benefit to getting the (now) old certification?  An IT friend of mine, who has multiple MS certs, said that there is seldom a reason not to get the most current certification.  Anyone agree or disagree?

I tend to agree: you should probably aim for the latest certification. However, if you have already studied for 70-536, it may be worth taking the exam. It accredits that you also have knowledge about the Framework fundamentals, and not only about the "high-level" details on how to develop a WPF application as you will get from 70-511. Even if 70-536 doesn't give you an additional "TS" certification once you have passed 70-511, pointing out to a potential employer that you can acredit the Framework knowledge may place you above other candidates who haven't gone as far.
    If I choose to aim for the new cert, how might I proceed? Just continue with the same classes, "2956B/2957B: Core and Advanced Foundations of Microsoft .NET 2.0 Development"?

If you choose to take only 70-511, you may drop 2956/2957. While the knowledge that you gain from these courses is quite useful, very little of it is tested in the exam.

I'm scheduled to take "6460A: Visual Studio 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation" in a couple of weeks. Is that still the best class currently available if aiming for the 70-511 test?
    Yes, currently the VS 2008 class is the latest. There isn't yet an equivalent class based on VS 2010. However, rest assured that what you learn in this class is still valuable; there haven't been that many changes from the old version to the new one, so if you learn to develop WPF applications in Visual Studio 2008, you will be able to develop them in Visual Studio 2010.
    Also, the info page says that the class for 70-511 is in development...  Any idea what that means, time-wise?  And any idea how long it usually takes the Self-Paced Training Kit to follow?

The times are very variable, but past experience tells us that in some cases there can be a substantial lapse of time (such as one year) from the time that a new exam appears until the time that we get training materials that specifically target that exam. So I don't recommend that you wait for them. Do take the older class, and supplement your training by studying the technical documentation about the new version on MSDN.

• Marked as answer by Eddie Bailey Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• While the information in 70-536 is valid and valuable, is there any point or benefit to getting the (now) old certification?  An IT friend of mine, who has multiple MS certs, said that there is seldom a reason not to get the most current certification.  Anyone agree or disagree?

I tend to agree: you should probably aim for the latest certification. However, if you have already studied for 70-536, it may be worth taking the exam. It accredits that you also have knowledge about the Framework fundamentals, and not only about the "high-level" details on how to develop a WPF application as you will get from 70-511. Even if 70-536 doesn't give you an additional "TS" certification once you have passed 70-511, pointing out to a potential employer that you can acredit the Framework knowledge may place you above other candidates who haven't gone as far.
    If I choose to aim for the new cert, how might I proceed? Just continue with the same classes, "2956B/2957B: Core and Advanced Foundations of Microsoft .NET 2.0 Development"?

If you choose to take only 70-511, you may drop 2956/2957. While the knowledge that you gain from these courses is quite useful, very little of it is tested in the exam.

I'm scheduled to take "6460A: Visual Studio 2008: Windows Presentation Foundation" in a couple of weeks. Is that still the best class currently available if aiming for the 70-511 test?
    Yes, currently the VS 2008 class is the latest. There isn't yet an equivalent class based on VS 2010. However, rest assured that what you learn in this class is still valuable; there haven't been that many changes from the old version to the new one, so if you learn to develop WPF applications in Visual Studio 2008, you will be able to develop them in Visual Studio 2010.

The times are very variable, but past experience tells us that in some cases there can be a substantial lapse of time (such as one year) from the time that a new exam appears until the time that we get training materials that specifically target that exam. So I don't recommend that you wait for them. Do take the older class, and supplement your training by studying the technical documentation about the new version on MSDN.

• Marked as answer by Eddie Bailey Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:48 AM
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 8:47 PM
  • Thank you so much - you are, like, the rock star of forum answers! 

I really appreciate your taking the time to provide such thoughtful and thorough answers.  I'm sure I'll have more questions soon enough, but this has really helped solidfy some of my thoughts.

Thanks again-

Eddie

Thursday, July 15, 2010 3:53 AM
  • I am also trying to study for the MCTS: .NET Framework 4, Windows Applications / 70-511 exam.

I have passed the 70-526 exam last year.

My question is on the material to use in preparing for the exam.

I am recently working with the book  “Windows presentation foundation” unleashed by Adam Nathan.

I found the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-502): which is geared towards the .net framework 3.5, will this book help with preparing for the 70-511 exam?

There is no self-paced training kit for the 70-511 yet.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:46 PM
  • I have not yet personally taken any of the WPF exams. However, looking at the "skills tested" tab of both exam descriptions, it looks like the knowledge that you gain from preparing for 70-502 should take you a long way towards getting ready for 70-511. If you supplement that with a book, I do believe that it should be quite enough for tackling 70-511. Anyway, don't forget to take a look at the Skills Tested (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-511&locale=en-us#tab2) and check the list to verify that you aren't missing anything. You can look up on MDSN any information from that list that you are missing after going through the book and the training kit.

Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:08 PM
  • It's better to take &0-511 Exam
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-511): Windows® Application Development with Microsoft® .NET Framework 4 Book is Now Available @ Amazon chckout the below link

http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-Exam-70-511/dp/0735627428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304106405&sr=8-1

All the Best

Regards, http://tnvbalaji.wordpress.com tnvbalaji http://in.linkedin.com/in/tnvbalaji
    • Proposed as answer by Nag a Friday, April 29, 2011 7:51 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 7:51 PM