Why are we testing this OLD build RRS feed

• General discussion

• This Preview build is over 3 months old!

Wouldn't it be in the WHS Vail team good interest to release a new build so the "Public" testers could see if any bugs have been fixed, new ones created or suggestions implemented?

I noticed that a new build was listed in the Connect feedback (we all can see) awhile back, but was quickly hidden. So its obvious that new builds are being built & someone is getting them, but not us, the massive amount of volunteers.

Please MS WHS Vail team release us a new build.

Saturday, August 7, 2010 9:31 PM

All replies

• You're right, it IS in Microsoft's best interest to get us to test the version that they want tested.  Right now, that's this version.  As soon as they want us to test a new version, they'll make that available.

I know it's frustrating, but keep in mind that you've volunteered to help Microsoft test their software, and as such, you are subject to their methods and schedule.  You are free to end your volunteer status at any time.  You haven't paid for anything, and Microsoft isn't obligated to provide you with anything other than a place to report bugs and suggestions.

Overall, it seems that they're upholding their end of the bargain!  :)

Seriously, I feel your pain.  I'd like to have a newer, shinier, more stable and feature complete free server OS to keep all my stuff together.  Unfortunately, none of those wants are covered by a beta.  

Saturday, August 7, 2010 11:50 PM
  • The Log-collector has been removed from the download area on Connect.....

"Michael Coelho" wrote in message news:d2217a4c-77f8-4f94-b388-80654961708c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

You're right, it IS in Microsoft's best interest to get us to test the version that they want tested. Right now, that's this version. As soon as they want us to test a new version, they'll make that available.

I know it's frustrating, but keep in mind that you've volunteered to help Microsoft test their software, and as such, you are subject to their methods and schedule. You are free to end your volunteer status at any time. You haven't paid for anything, and Microsoft isn't obligated to provide you with anything other than a place to report bugs and suggestions.

Overall, it seems that they're upholding their end of the bargain! :)

Seriously, I feel your pain. I'd like to have a newer, shinier, more stable and feature complete free server OS to keep all my stuff together. Unfortunately, none of those wants are covered by a beta.

Have a nice day!
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 7:47 AM
  • You're right, it IS in Microsoft's best interest to get us to test the version that they want tested.  Right now, that's this version.  As soon as they want us to test a new version, they'll make that available.

I know it's frustrating, but keep in mind that you've volunteered to help Microsoft test their software, and as such, you are subject to their methods and schedule.  You are free to end your volunteer status at any time.  You haven't paid for anything, and Microsoft isn't obligated to provide you with anything other than a place to report bugs and suggestions.

Overall, it seems that they're upholding their end of the bargain!  :)

Seriously, I feel your pain.  I'd like to have a newer, shinier, more stable and feature complete free server OS to keep all my stuff together.  Unfortunately, none of those wants are covered by a beta. 

True but sadly the “A” team (& focus groups?) is getting new builds to test but we public volunteers are at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole it appears.

I am still using the WHS v.1 I purchased as my main PC backup server; I don’t think Vail is ready enough for me to trust it as my primary backup/server device. Broken “feature complete free server OS” maybe, it isn’t close to being ready, you have read the “Vail Deal Breakers\Complaints” threads & feedback @ Connect?

I did build a “NEW” PC for Vail to test it on though. I suppose I should have just blown off testing Vail then & leave the Team & other volunteers to find the bugs & give suggestions of which I have provided several. Like many others here (I’m sure) I am not using Vail for a “complete free server OS to keep all my stuff together”.

It’s hard to be enthusiastic over a build this OLD!

Sunday, August 8, 2010 10:41 PM
  • True but sadly the “A” team (& focus groups?) is getting new builds to test but we public volunteers are at the bottom of the proverbial totem pole it appears.

I am still using the WHS v.1 I purchased as my main PC backup server; I don’t think Vail is ready enough for me to trust it as my primary backup/server device.

As well you shouldn't.  Even MS said so. 
    Broken "feature complete free server OS” maybe, it isn’t close to being ready, you have read the “Vail Deal Breakers\Complaints” threads & feedback @ Connect?I did build a “NEW” PC for Vail to test it on though. I suppose I should have just blown off testing Vail then & leave the Team & other volunteers to find the bugs & give suggestions of which I have provided several. Like many others here (I’m sure) I am not using Vail for a "complete free server OS to keep all my stuff together”.

Michael isn't talking about this beta build.  He is saying he would like a newer beta build (which should be relatively bug-free) at which point he could then use a "feature complete free server OS".  Having said that, if MS releases any more beta builds in the future, I still wouldn't trust it with your only copy of irreplaceable data (wait until RTM for that). 

It’s hard to be enthusiastic over a build this OLD! 
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 11:42 PM
  • In general, intermadiate builds are released only to very small groups. (This is true across the industry, not just Microsoft.) For the most part, these builds represent the "bleeding edge" of the product, and the average user (even the average beta tester) would be well-advised to stay far away from them. They may have serious known issues that would prevent their use other than for quick testing of a single feature, and are generally not going to be something that the vendor wants the public to have access to. The quality bar for a public build is far higher, and it should be.

As for the rest, you can choose to end your participation in the beta program if you want, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will eventually release another build to the world at large, and I would expect that it will be closer to feature complete than this one is. Your decision to build a new PC for Vail was your own, not something that Microsoft or anyone here recommended to you. Personally, I'm using a server that I built 3 years ago for user group demos; it has two internal drives, a low end Celeron dual core processor, and until recently 1 GB of memory. I will probably build a server for Vail, but it's nowhere near time to do that yet, and in the meantime what I have is doing everything I want it to do. Outside of heavy "on the fly" transcoding, anyway, which it's wholly inadequate for and which I have little need for. Where I've spent money for Vail is on storage. I have somewhat under 2 TB of data, and at the moment I have about 12 TB of storage to make sure it's safe.

And Vail isn't "free". The beta is time limited and the final product will cost you money.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 9, 2010 12:51 PM
  • As for the rest, you can choose to end your participation in the beta program if you want, but I'm pretty sure Microsoft will eventually release another build to the world at large, and I would expect that it will be closer to feature complete than this one is. Your decision to build a new PC for Vail was your own, not something that Microsoft or anyone here recommended to you. 

Hey... Great idea.

After this post I will end my participation in this so called beta test. In the original Beta test of WHS most "testers" were excited to participate and honestly contributed to make WHS a great product for its time. I'm not feeling the love this time round or see any evidence that the many concerns which have been voiced are being addressed. Microsoft doesn't owe it's beta testers anything.. and with Vail they certainly  are proving it.  

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 2:42 AM
  • I don't think pulling out the beta is going to help.

Like yourself, and many others going by the forum, I am getting frustrated with the lack of new spin. My "Vail" server hasn't been turned on for the best part of a month. There does not seem any point in paying for the power required without having something new to try out and potentially break :).

I still come to the forum every day or two to keep in touch but all I am seeing at present is the same problems and bugs being "re-discovered" as new people try out the present very old Vail beta. Who in reality knows what has been fixed and what hasn't.

We can but hope Microsoft will decide to let us, the great unwashed public :), have a crack at a new spin of the system. Other than that I'll save on my electrical bill until there is something to worth installing on the machine.

In the meantime WHSv1 is still being a delightful little angel in the corner.

Dave

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:46 AM
  • Like yourself, and many others going by the forum, I am getting frustrated with the lack of new spin

That's more a personal thing unrelated to the WHS beta  ;-)

"frogz1" wrote in message news:a149d414-4657-4cfb-9e2d-39d7409f0cc3@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I don't think pulling out the beta is going to help.

Like yourself, and many others going by the forum, I am getting frustrated with the lack of new spin. My "Vail" server hasn't been turned on for the best part of a month. There does not seem any point in paying for the power required without having something new to try out and potentially break :).

I still come to the forum every day or two to keep in touch but all I am seeing at present is the same problems and bugs being "re-discovered" as new people try out the present very old Vail beta. Who in reality knows what has been fixed and what hasn't.

We can but hope Microsoft will decide to let us, the great unwashed public :), have a crack at a new spin of the system. Other than that I'll save on my electrical bill until there is something to worth installing on the machine.

In the meantime WHSv1 is still being a delightful little angel in the corner.

Dave

Have a nice day!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:39 PM
  • Like yourself, and many others going by the forum, I am getting frustrated with the lack of new spin

That's more a personal thing unrelated to the WHS beta  ;-)

Maybe I could have worded my two cents worth a little better!!

Thanks Leen, love your response, great sense of humour. Can't take things too seriously :)

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Your comment is, in my opinion, trite and unnecessary.  Everyone knows what you have purported.  I'm sure he was hoping to hear from an "authority" regarding when the next beta would be forthcoming.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:32 PM
  • Thank you MS WHS Vail Team for the new public build, it's really good to be able to test a new one.

New Build of Vail ready for download

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/fbcf4393-ecc5-411d-9e18-310bd198cf48

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 1:57 PM